Home

Halloween: Scary Stories

Darth Groovy

As it gets closer to Halloween I thought it would be cool to get some scary stories in here frome the Swamp. Post a scary story here. It can be your own experience, or something you read that disturbs you, anything!

I have had only one unexplained natural occurance in my lifetime thus far. It was 1991, my sophmore year-Halloween night. Me and a buddy were at a 24 hour grocery store that is part of a shopping complex that housed a Best Buy, Office Max, Builder's Square, and Service Merchandise. Several small shops are housed in between these big stores. The parking lot was fairly empty and as we pulled in. We had noticed an old women walking over near the Best Buy. Of course it was after 11pm so we thougth it was already odd to see an old woman at this hour. The other thing that I noticed was that she was bundled up a lot more than was required because it was not that cold out that night. She was also carrying a burlap bag, and the strangest thing of all about her is the clothes she was wearing looked very out of date. In fact she looked like something out of a Dicken's story. Anyways we had dismissed her as some homeless person, so my buddy was going into the store to get some eggs and other things for practical jokes. I opted to stay in the car because I was really concerned about this women for some reason. She walked extremely slow and her face was covered with a grey scarf. Still clutching the burlap bag she walked behind one of the large stone pillars that usually adorn the entrances of Best Buy stores. I sat, and sat and sat and I never saw her come out from behind that pillar. At this point I got very concerned. Finally my buddy got back to the car and I told him that the old women had not come from behind the pillar, so I asked him if we could go see if she was ok. We pulled up to the store front and both got out of the car and walked around the pillar where she was last seen. Nothing. So we were even more concerned now, because the was nowhere she could have went in this shopping center where she could just dissapear like that. We drove the length of the lot, around the parking lot, I even hiked an access ladder and checked the roof. We checked the dumpsters, we went back in the grocery store, anything we could think of and still......nothing. I know its not overly dramatic, but we went home really spooked that night. In fact we were so spooked we went streight to my house and just stayed there. I told my folks about it and they believe me because I am not a good liar at all. I still don't bring it up much because I can't explain what happened. My buddy Larry gets mad everytime I bring it up. Please keep in mind I have never done any kind of drugs in my lifetime, and that night we were stone sober. What the hell happened? :confused:

Please share any tales that you know of.

Here's a Star Wars story I wrote a few years ago for Halloween. Based on an old Twilight Zone episode ;)

Killed In Action

By Luke Schyler

Hoth.

Private Jerome Cricks swayed with the motion of the All Terrain Armored Transport. He held his helmet, modified for the cold weather of the Ice Planet Hoth in the crook of his arm, and his other hand gripped the sway-bar above his head.

This would be his first time in the field as an Imperial Stormtrooper, and he grinned like an idiot. So did the person sitting next to him, Brandon Ridge, also a private. He and Brandon were best friends, both fresh off of the planet Myrkr.

"This is gonna be awesome!" Brandon said in an ecstatic voice. "I'm gonna take down tons of those Rebels!"

Jerome laughed, "Just you leave some for me!"

The com crackled and the AT-AT pilot's voice filtered through: <Deployment in one minute.>

"Here we go!" Jerome crowed, pulling the helmet over his head and picking up his BlasTech E-11 Blaster Rifle. Brandon jumped up to the deploy-man, a man in the gray of an Imperial Tech holding a white deployment harness. Ridge strapped into the harness and the door before them opened. The endless white of Hoth's snow-plane was littered with downed Rebel Snowspeeders, and even the bulks of some AT-ATs dotted the field.

Brandon jumped out of the AT-AT, gripping the harness straps, howling "YAAAAAA-HOOOOOO!" Jerome laughed and strapped into his own harness, then launched himself off of the deck plates. It was a mad rush!

Jerome hit the snow, sending a plume of it up around him. He shrugged out of his harness and took hold of his blaster with both hands.

The rest of the Stormtroopers deployed, the squad commander taking the lead, Jerome and Brandon bringing up the rear as they started out toward the Rebel barracks. The towering AT-AT painted the sky with laserfire. An Anti-Infantry Battery shattered apart as it was bombarded with the lances of energy.

They jumped down into the barrack trench, Rebel bodies already littering it. Red-tinted snow encircled the corpses. For once, Brandon didn't have a wise-crack, instead, he muttered, "I think I'm gonna be sick."

"DIE!!!" The Rebel jumped up from behind the wreckage of an Anti-vehicle Artillery, frozen blood covering half his face and uniform, blaster flaring. Brandon jumped around just in time to take a laser bolt directly in his chest, throwing him backward with a smoldering hole in his white armor.

Jerome quickly pointed his rifle in the direction of the Rebel, his finger tightened on the trigger. The blaster vibrated in his hands as it unleashed a volley of deadly energy. The Rebel doubled over and crumpled onto the ground, new blood flowed over the frozen. Jerome's eyes stung with tears as he looked down to the crumpled form of Brandon.

The commander stalked forward to stand over the dead Rebel. He pressed the nozzle of his blaster to the man's forehead and pulled the trigger, the body jerked. "Rebel scum," he hissed.

"C'mon," the commander said, motioning with his blaster. Jerome picked up the dead weight of Brandon, throwing the limp arm around his neck and he started dragging him. "YOU!" The commander pointed at Jerome with his blaster. "Leave the dead, they'll be picked up later!"

Jerome nodded, setting Brandon's body on the snow. They started forward, down the trench, stepping over more bodies, all Jerome could think about was Brandon, all of the good times they had had in their youth, then at the Academy, the pranks they had pulled. He didn't see the tell-tail mound of the mine, didn't even hear the triple-beep, but the commander did.

"GET DOWN!"

Jerome jumped aside, the explosion shook his armor, and his very bones. He yelled and the excruciating pain took him as he was thrown forward. He hit the snow. Then, the pain was gone, he blinked and stood up. The bodies of other members of his squad lay scattered across the ground. Some of them were rising. The com in his helmet crackled, <The mission was a failure; the Rebels have abandoned their base. All personnel return to Drop Shuttles.>

Jerome plodded back to the Drop Shuttles, which were already lowering from the sky, with the few survivors of his squad.

On the shuttle, no one felt like talking. Everyone's armor was bloody and scraped. He took off his helmet. It was so quiet. "Well," he muttered, "At least it's one less Rebel base." No one else on the shuttle seemed to hear him.

The shuttle landed in one of the many bays of the Super-class Star Destroyer, Executor. He walked down the corridors to the debriefing room. He stared at the gigantic screen that ran the list of those missing or killed in action.

He recognised many of the names: some were people he had met at the Imperial Academy, others were veterans whom he knew about only through legend. Then, his eye caught a name in the "Killed in Action" column. "PRIVATE, CRICKS, JEROME."

"What the hell?" He looked around the room, and he found a Tech. "Yo Techie! What's the big idea? I'm not dead! I'm right here!" The Tech ignored him.

Then, Jerome felt a hand on his shoulder. He twisted his head around and saw the familiar features. The features of a man he thought he would never see again. "Brandon?" he gasped, then his smile returned. "Brandon! You're alive! I thought you were dead! The commander said you were--" His smile faded when he saw the look on Brandon Ridge's face.

"I am, Jerome," he said mournfully, shaking his head. "We both are."

The End

Archived