Home

Weighting hand verts

Flamegrape

What's the point of weighting the verts to different finger bones? In ModView, it looks like the fingers aren't animated at all. Is there a good reason why the hand verts shouldn't be weighted to just the radius and hand bones?

I'm having a bitch of a time trying to make my LOD_1 crank through assimilate. It's having nothing but trouble with the hands.

Yes the fingers are animated quite a bit in multiplayer. I'd suggest to weight them, it just adds a bit of professionalism and realism to the model. Also you will notice if you dont weight the fingers, the player will not look like they are holding the weapons properly. The hand won't wrap around the lightsaber or guns in the right way.

Okay, I'm having problems. For now, I'll just focus on r_hand_1.

Carcass is giving me this message: (among many others that scroll by and are lost)

Error: Surface '*r_hand' references bone 'rhand' in LOD 1, but not in LOD 0!!

LOD0 of this surface references these:

"rhang_tag_bone"

LOD1 references these:

"rhand"

This has me perplexed. In my model, r_hand is skinned to these bones:

rradiusX

rhand

mc7

r_d5_j1

r_d5_j2

r_d5_j3

r_d1_j1

r_d1_j2

r_d1_j3

r_d2_j1

r_d2_j2

r_d2_j3

r_d3_j1

r_d3_j2

r_d3_j3

r_d4_j1

r_d4_j2

r_d4_j3

(in that exact order)

r_hand_1 is skinned to these bones:

rradiusX

rhand

mc7

r_d5_j1

r_d5_j2

r_d5_j3

r_d1_j1

r_d1_j2

r_d1_j3

r_d2_j1

r_d2_j2

r_d2_j3

r_d3_j1

r_d3_j2

r_d3_j3

r_d4_j1

r_d4_j2

r_d4_j3

(in that exact order)

Neither LOD version uses the bone "rhang_tag_bone." I think carcass is trying to tell me that it's being used in the LOD_0 skin, but it is not.

In both LOD versions of r_hand, the verts are properly weighted in the exact same fashion with the exact same size for the envelopes. None of the verts are weighted to more than four bones, which is the limit.

Something else is happening here that I do not understand.

:(

Just a little update.

Another error message that Carcass gave me was that I had weighted r_arm_elbow to bone rhumerusX in LOD_0 and weighted r_arm_elbow_1 to bone rradius. I fixed that. Now both LODs of r_arm_elbow are weighted to rradius. I no longer get that error message in Carcass.

But it still insists that I'm...

Oh, wait a minute. I think I just figured something out. (As I type this post!)

I just noticed that bolt_r_hand is weighted to rhang_tag_bone and bolt_r_hand_1 is weighted to rhand!

When Carcass told me that the r_arm_elbow LODs were weighted to different bones, the program did not include the "bolt_" prefix in it's error message. I think this is the source of my befuddlement. Perhaps Carcass was programmed in Confuso++.

;)

Archived