Home

Any RPG fans out there??

Guest Obi-wan Shinobi

Guest Obi-wan Shinobi

I was just wondering if any of you enjoy RPG's. I went in and reserved Vagrant Story today and found out something cool. Legend of Mana comes out next month, and if you are one of the first to reserve, you get the Music CD free. I thought that was really cool and thought I would pass it along, since I have talked RPG with some of you before.

------------------

Obi-wan Shinobi is the un-council's official Beer Baron.

[This message has been edited by Obi-wan Shinobi (edited May 09, 2000).]

Guest Rogue_Jedi

RPG's are great. I play them generally in winter as they eat up too much of the time in summer I've allotted to fishing and golf.

...unless of course it is a really cool looking game...

------------------

"May the Force be with You"

Guest Mace_Windu

I can't wait for Legend of Mana. If its half as good as Secret of Mana it will kick a**. Final Fantasy IX's gonna rock too.

Guest ShadeShifter

Vagrant Story looks great and so does Chrono Cross. I need a good RPG after I beat FF 8.

------------------

newsig.jpg

Guest Darth_Talon

I also enjoy a good RPG...ive played every final fantasy available in english as well as many others....and i plan on buying final fantasy IX when it comes out

------------------

Talon3.jpg

"Evil will always triumph over good because good is dumb."

-Dark Helmet to LoneStar (Spaceballs)

Guest Darth Killa

I have beaten every Final Fantasy except 8. I believe FF8 was a piece of ****. The best FF was #2(by america numbering system). I downloaded the roms of the ones which did not come to U.S and kicked their ass. Somw believe me as the one who totally beats role playing games. I also love the old ones like secret of mana, Chrono Trigger, Secret of evermore, 7th saga, xeno gears and many others I can't think off the top of my head. Personally I think most of you are frads if you think FF8 is a good game. We can only hope that FF9 is much better than FF8.

Thanks,

Darth Killa

Guest ShadeShifter

Please, just because you didn't like FF 8 doesn't mean that others can't like it. I've played every Final Fantasy also (including those not realeased in the states and Tactics) and they are all great games with good storylines.

------------------

newsig.jpg

Guest Barnabas Antilies

I want to get Legend of Dragoon but I always wait until the winter to get RPG's gives me something to do while I'm stuck in the house. Summer is to nice to be inside all the time.

------------------

raist6.jpg

Father Barnabas Antilies, Supreme Chancelor

Guest Darth Killa

K shade shifter here we go a small POP QUIZ.

First FF:

What monsters do you have to fightin the last dungon to get to Chaos?

FF5(never came to us):

What did Galuf travel in to get to earth?

These are two easy questions. If you can't anwser these then you sux.

Guest Fenix

I thought FF7 was ALOT better than FF8. I also thought FF8 would be longer because it was on 4 CD's, but all of that space was taken up by computer generated scenes. I guess I shouldn't be commenting on this because they are the only two Final Fantasy games I've played. Oh well.

------------------

fenix.jpg

"I am the light that cuts through the darkness."

-Fenix, wielder of the Spirit Blade

Guest Jedi Trunks

xeno gears isn't that old, and it kicks ass! and secret of evermore, in my opninos sucked, and secret of mana 3, is mad ass good! it could be the best RPg i have ever played. FF7 was good, ff8 wasn't as good. ff1-6 were all good. the nintendo ff's were good too. chorno trigger was awsome. the DBZ's r allright, very rare though. there are a lot of old school rpg's that i love, but i can't remember the names of them.

------------------

JPBFORUM.jpg

Trunks, Supreme Jedi

"Sniffing Glue is a way of life, never deny that!"

Guest Acid_Rain327

Agreed - Final Fantasy III was indeed a beautiful blend of story, graphics, and character development.

It, along with VII are my favorites of the series.

Unfortunately, the novelty of VIII wore of very quickly, as the story was not as intriguing as that of VII (went for comparisson to the most recent prequel).

The whole Sorceress thing just didn't have the same impact as Sephiroth - a truly well devised villain, being powerful, holding a sinister presence, and a very tragic character. Combined with the threats he held on both the heroes, as well as the planet, created an atmosphere of despair and desperation.

Seems like the entire world never even knew about The final villain in VIII, hence I felt impartial upon reaching that battle.

As for IX, I haven't seen anything that grabbed my attention, or so much as sparked a bit of interest - other than the title's name. I hate to say this, but I'm not impressed at all with the character design, nor the scenes we've seen thus far...

I'll probably check it out anyway, but most likely will not buy it.

And X, well, I've never had an interest in Asheron's Call. Having Square's name on an Online RPG is interesting, but I don't think I'll be shelling out money each month to play it - I'd prefer a flat rate of a console game.

I am, however, very much looking forward to the Final Fantasy Motion Picture.

------------------

<a onMouseover="alert('Away put your mouse, or Medieval I will get! Hmm!')"> acid_yoda.jpg </a>

[This message has been edited by Acid_Rain327 (edited May 10, 2000).]

Guest Barnabas Antilies

Seikoden I and II kicked some major bantha Ass. It wasn't the best graphic game but it was the best story in a long time. FF tactics is the best FF ever.

------------------

raist6.jpg

Father Barnabas Antilies, Supreme Chancelor

Guest Plo Koon

Well, I guess since no one mentioned it, Diablo doesn't count as an RPG. I like it a lot, and can't wait for Diablo 2 to come out.

Some of those RPG's you all mentioned, I haden't even heard of. I'm not really an RPG type person, but I enjoy them every now and then. My friend introduced me to Baulder's Gate, and that was damn fun. Not anymore though...

------------------

plo_koon.jpg

Guest ForeShadow

Hey, did anyone ever see the relevance between FF8 and a Disney movie? Come on, you have Squall, the "knight in shining armor", well not really, but still. And then there's Rinoa, the "Princess" of the Timber Owls, and finally, Edea, the "Evil Sorceress". What better concept to base an alledged "love story" on then "Snow White" or "Sleeping Beauty", eh? Anyway, Square has been slowly decaying ever since [after] FF6 [3 in American sales]. FF7 was so-so... it was like the Final Fantasy transition point. Half-assed graphics mixed with a half-assed plot, and then came FF8 - good graphics, bad plot [which is opposed to FF6 with bad graphics and a good plot]. Yes, as Rho, or shall I refer to him as OverShadow? Ah, it doesn't matter. As Rho put it, FF10, if Square survives to produce it, should be a very intriguing game. I've also heard FF9 is a continuation of FF8, but that is all just pre-release rumors so take no heed. If it is, though, I assure you Square's sales will take a mighty blow upon its release. Anyway, yes... RPGs are about the best genre of game you can get, and anyone who thinks otherwise probably has a second grade average education. No offense. Becuase playing an RPG is like... watching a movie, or reading a book, except you can control what the characters do even though the plot heads on one general direction. Anyway, I'm done now.

Oh, and a bit of useless trivia for you. How many of you know why the FF series is called Final Fantasy? Not alot, probably. Well... back before FF1 was released, Square was in the hole - yeah, they were on the verge of going bankrupt and calling it a day. One of the gamemakers [forgot his name] came up with idea... a relatively low-cost, simply RPG game idea based on the currently high-selling Dragon Quest series. Square decided to throw it out, and called it "Final Fantasy" because if it failed, this "Final Fantasy" would be Square's last game. Well, it wasn't a big hit, but it kept them alive, and they've just been continuing the FF series as their flagship game series ever since.

And since every Final Fantasy game has never been alike, I hope the rumors about FF9 aren't true.

[This message has been edited by ForeShadow (edited May 10, 2000).]

Guest Darth Killa

Problems with FF8:

1. You depend too much on you materia.

2. The weapons suck no matter how much you up garde them.

3. How you get the magic is stupid and gay.

4. The magic sux so you have to go back and depend on you materia.

These break all the traditions of the FFs. As you also saw that FF8 did not sell as good as FF7. I also believe FF7 brought alot of wanna bes who think they are the ****. Thats alright though I know I'm the **** smile.gif.

I do agree that FF3(FF6 in Japan) is a great game. I really like the Idea they had for the last boss. Although he was kinda easy. My favorite charater is Sabin. Bum Rush is by far the coolest thing ever.

Barnabas is truly right. Soikoden is an awesome game. I have beat that game about 10 times. The main challenge with that game was trying to get all of the Charaters. I have not played #2 yet. My friend was going to let me borrow it but he lost it =(.

FF Tatics is also and awesome game. Great story and many secrets. My main warning is when you get the secret Cloud don't get him to level 99 because he still sux there. Although it was a fun game the last bad guy sucked. I beat him with one person mad.gif.

Barnabas if you like FF Tatics then you should go and try Vandal Hearts and Vandal Hearts2. They are great games.

Some more good role playing games:

Vandal Hearts(1&2), Wild Arms, Lufias. I'll think of more I beat but it will take a bit there is a long list cool.gif.

Guest ShadeShifter

To answer your questions Darth Killa:

In FF 1, on your way to Chaos, you fight enemies such as the Gas Dragons and Iron Gol (I think that's his name). Certain levels are filled with enemies of a particualar type, like one level has Ice enemies. The final 4 levels before Chaos contain the 4 bosses (Lich, Kary, Kraken, and Tiamat) and enemies assoceiated with their levels.

In FF5, Galuf traveled in a meteorite. And FF5 did come to the US in the Final Fantasy Anthology.

Any more questions?

------------------

newsig.jpg

Guest Darth Killa

Sure man I'll give you another question. eek.gif

Who is the last boss in FF2 and what dagger does 9999 damamge to him when you hit him with it? cool.gif

Guest TK-422

Secret of Mana 2 was a GREAT game. Also, ChronoTrigger and of course all the FFs were great. FF1-6 are the best, FF7 is good too. But FF8 just didnt seem to cut it. It was too repetitive and it got boring at times. Im so glad they are ogign back to fantasy style...after all, it is "Final Fantasy" not "Final Sci-Fi-ish game." FF9 looks awesome, especially since the black mage is coming back! Yeahh!!!!!

ps. The translated FF5 for the SNES is a much better version than the official in my opinion.

Guest Darth Killa

Hell Yeah cool.gif. TK-422 knows whats up. You seem like a true RPG playa. wink.gifbiggrin.gifsmile.giftongue.gif

Thanks,

Darth Killa

[This message has been edited by Darth Killa (edited May 11, 2000).]

Archived