Home

Editing a Pre-existing Model

UndefinedSin

Hello Master Modelers,

I have what I believe to be a simple problem, and I'm hoping you guys can give me a quick walkthrough on how to fix it.

I was recently attempting to make a new skin for the Mandalorian model, building off of the Thrindel Sev skin which doesn't include the cloth or jetpack elements of the model. One thing that annoyed me when I finished skinning was that whenever something like drain or lightning was used on the character, you could still see the outlines of the jetpack and cloth.

I decided I would try to delete these elements from the model itself, so I:

1. imported it into MilkShape

2. deleted the groups

3. exported as an MD3 file

4. opened it up using MD3View

5. exported as a glm file

6. renamed it as model.glm and placed it in the proper directory of the pk3 file.

But it won't work! When I try to use it in-game it just shows up as a Kyle model.

Anyone know how I can fix this? Thanks, very much.

--UndefinedSin

Yeah, dude, there is too much info in that thread, but not too much about jk2 modeling,

I just start a wip a few week ago, and I tell you must have the most unbreakable patience. I use gmax for now, but I now that I need 3dsmax to put the model ingame, because 3dsmax is the tool with the XSI exporter

for the tutorial, well, sithlord-II is asking the demand for a tutorial on Jedi Knight 2 character modeling in this Thread. I hope he will create that tutorial.

Sin, you will need 3ds max in order to get a player model into the game. What's worse is that it wont be easy either.

You can import into milkshape, do what you want, and then export in a 3ds format, import that into 3ds max. BUT....

You now dont have any of the bones, and the model is NOT weighed. You have NO LOD's and you may be missing the tags (depends if you imported them in milkshape).

So you basically have to go through the most boring and time consuming wretch that is JKII "getting your model in game." Fitting your model arounf the bones, aligning the tags, weighing, setting up the hierarchy and doing all the LOD's.

I doubt it is worth your time and effort to just get the jetpack off the model. I would try contacting the author and politely ask him what you need. (If it was me I'd send you the 3ds max file I had). It will save you a lot of time.

1st step is to install 3ds max though. :)

Archived