Home

Basic Tutorials

XSeth2kX

Originally posted by wudan

whaaaaa ....

What the h3ll are you going to hack/crack? You sound CRAZY!

You release one version of your mod and you go and get delusions of grandeur ;P

Whatever. :) I never said anything about ME doing it. Making it sound like some sort of secret uber-intel project doesn't change the fact that it's a coding hack job. It's not like you're totally rewriting the animation code. And if you are, WHY?!

Originally posted by 12345678

would cracking the anim system (and distributing whatever the fruits of that labor are) even be legal? if so how much work/skill would this take? i might be willing to offer a cash bounty to the cracker if its legal.

[EDIT]Oh, it's legal to do such work, but you're not legally allowed to make money off such modifications since this code would be based on the Raven/LEC/Id's source materials.[/EDIT]

As for the difficultly, I haven't personally checked out the possiblity but it sounds like it would be a low "Difficult" to "Pro" level job.

The low "Difficult" job would be if it's possible to simply hack the current animation system to allow it to read two seperate animation files for a single model class (specifically the humaniod model type). This could potentually be done without rewriting assloads of code.

The "Pro" level job would use the set bone animation functions to totally write a new animation system to suppliment Raven's. This would require a full rewrite for most of the animation code and possibly all of the reachable code in general. I can't imagine noone would do that amount of work for this engine without getting paid. :D It would probably be less of a hassle to just port the whole game to UT2003 and get a prettier game in the process. You'd also probably get "foxed" so you'd be screwed ether way.

cool, what are you working on now?

anyway, it's not just the EULA that prevents the you from legally modifying the engine for money, there's Id's licensing agreement with Raven, wave after wave of copyright laws, LEC's agreement with Raven, etc. Basically, a buttload of trouble if you even think about trying to make money off it.

Archived