Home

Now what?

Ryick Pa'tran

Well, it also depends on the type of your map: SP or MP. However, I will not comment on that any further. I will only point one thing forgotten all too often: sounds. Add sound effects and environments to your map, especially if it is SP, and your will double its worth.

if you completed youre map and you wanna make it playable.

first make it a BSP file, to compile it to bsp, just look in youre radiant or whatever youre using and look for a bsp button just between "selection" and "grid" click it and then click BSP fullvis

this will make youre map a bsp, this can take awhile depending on the size and/or details of youre map.

after you made it a BSP, you put it into a pk3 and start JKII, then press "~" and "shift" at the same time so the console shows now you type " \devmap Mywonderfullselfmademap" or whatever you called it.

to make it show in the menu you will have to make a screenshot with a 512x 512 resolution in jpg format, name it the same as youre bsp file is called for example: I made a Cubes map called ffa_cubes.bsp so I will call my screenie FFA_cubes.jpg

now put it into the levelshots folder

this was only for the screenie, to make it actually show in youre JKII map menu you make a .arena file in youre scripts folder called for example: ffa_cubes.arena ( you can just rename a txt)

in this file you put something like this :

{

map "ffa_Cubes" \\ name of the file without the bsp part//

bots "Dark_Reaper" \\ dunno wat this is //

longname "Cubism Temples" \\the name that shows up in JKII//

fraglimit 10 \\just ignore this//

type "ffa duel" \\this makes it ffa or ctf depending on what kind of map you made//

}

don't put the parts between \\...// in it, this might (i dunno) screw it up

this was what to do with a MP map

I'm using JK2Radiant.

About the .arena file: Dark Reaper mentioned that it needs to be in the Scripts Folder. I can't seem to find the Scripts Folder. Would it be called something else (I haven't changed anything around since installation). What type of file is the .arena file? Is it like a file from Notepad? From Microsoft Word? And then renamed .arena?

Once again, Thanks in advance,

Ryick Pa'tran

The .pk3 packet must contain all custom or customized files you have made. That includes textures and sounds, and such. A very wise thing to do, if you have some spare hard disk space (who wouldn't these days) is to unzip the assets-files to your base directory. Not only it gives you the model for the right subdirectory structure in a .pk3, it also gives you an easy access to all the Raven made files, without the need to always dig them from the zipped bundles or use editors to access them.

For a screenshot, you must bind some unused button on your keyboard to the screenshot command (or levelshot) using the console. Like:

bind k screenshot

This allows you to take screenshots without the console being shown, or in dynamic (fast) situations.

Okay, I have now created a pk3 file (using PakScape). Here is what it has:

Botroutes folder (empty)

Models folder (empty)

Shaders folder (empty)

Levelshots folder (one file: one.jpeg)

Music folder (one folder, one file: Final_Duel\Final_Duel.mp3)

Sound folder (empty)

Maps folder (one file: one.bsp)

Scripts folder (one file: one.arena)

The Arena file is a wordpad file that states:

{

map "one"

bots "Luke"

Longname "One Box"

fraglimit 10

type "ffa"

}

NOTES:

I built this test map in JK2Radiant. I have not created or included any custom shaders or textures. I have placed the one.pk3 in the correct folder (with all of the maps I have dowloaded.

PROBLEM:

This map does not show up in the menu of choices for a FFA.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,

Ryick Pa'tran

There is a tendency to just give a link to these tutorials without thinking because it is great...but in this case it might be what you're after, helped me a lot when putting together my first few pk3s.

http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/gc102lsn7.html

Also very handy....http://planetquake.com/bubba/pk3.html

Those two together will hopefully cover anything you haven't already heard in this thread :)

Archived