Home

Not SWGB2 thread, but SW "RTS"

Crazy_dog no.3

That would be so cool to have a Star Wars RTS-FPS shooter. It is possible. Battlefield 1942 , Renegade and the Half-Life mod Natural Selection have all done it (though I admit Renegade can get a little unbalanced, but only a little).

That would be so cool! There would be 5 classes (like Battlefield): Sniper, Assualt (for lack of a better word), Anti-Vehicle, Medic and Engineer. Maybe Jedi too? . Every civ also get a few vehicles, also with different roles such as Bombers, Artillery, etc.

What do u guys think?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A game like Battlefield 1942 would be cool. Drive the AT-ST or the *drool* AT-AT. Fly the X-Wing. . . . I jus hope the controls for Flying would be better.

But pesonally, I'd rather have a RTS game like Homeworld: Cataclysm, but for Star Wars. Build SDs and crushing the enemy. If not like that, I'd like to see a game like Star Trek Armada 2, but with (again) Star Wars. I know they have Mods for both games, but I want a ral thing. The Mods arn't perfect.

Would this be a kind of mostly multiplayer 'skirmish' game, where you and other people run around a map getting in vehicles and shooting each other (or NOT getting in vehicles and shooting each other)? From what I've heard from my friends, that's what BF1942 is like. I could be wrong.

Or would it be something like Jedi Outcast- just a SW FPS?

Or would it be like C&C Renegade, where the game is heavily based on (and includes) units and buildings from other games?

If it's BF1942-style, I think that would be a lot of fun. Flying/driving around in SW vehicles and killing each other with SW weapons is something lots of people want to do, and JO (although it was great) only scratched the surface of all the possibilities, especially with the vehicles.

JO-style.... well, it's already been done, but another FPS would be good.

Renegade-style: I doubt there have been any SW RTS games with sufficient popularity to generate a SW:Renegade. In C&C Renegade, it was a different matter, for two main reasons. To begin with, the C&C franchise is extremely popular, and everyone can look up at a building in Renegade and say "Oh! That's a Hand of Nod!". Secondly, there are only two civs, making it quite easy to make.

No, a Star Wars FPS with maps like "Battle Of Hoth", for example, with the Empire striking from thier landing zone against the Echo Bases on Hoth. The Empire would get AT-AT's and such vehicles, while Rebels would get airspeeders, turrets (non-mobile, but can be manned), etc. Like in BF1942 there is no storyline or story-based single-player campaign, just different maps.

Anyone could just hop into a vehicle or procced on foot.

Other maps would be Theed (2 maps of Theed maybe?), Grassy Plains, Otoh Gunga (water-based map), Battle Of Geonosis, Assualt On Yavin 4, Endor (Again, 2 maps?), Coruscant (rebel invasion) and (a few) EU maps, like perhaps Sarapin, Kessel and several Wookiee vs. Empire maps on Kashyyykk.

That sounds great. But I disagree about the indoor combat. Isn't that the whole point of the game- to fly/run/walk/drive around massive outdoor environments?

However, a bit of indoor would be fun- ie battling snowtroopers inside Echo Base on Hoth. However, not many of the other maps you suggested allow for indoor combat, and they seem like massive outdoor environments to me.

Theed maps should somewhat support indoor combat (in the palace for example), Assualt On Yavin 4 would have it's small Rebel bases and Massassi base, and of course Coruscant would have the Imperial Palace as the main Imperial base. And u meantioned Hoth and a small section of Hoth will of course be Echo Base.

That'd be awesome. Clone Wars has you driving around in some things, but this sounds like so much better. I can see it now... and of course you'd have to have a Luke vs. Vader fight, preferably the last in the throne room. I was thinking something like JO for Luke vs. Vader; their system of Jedi battles works great.

Luke vs. Vader fight? Wha?

This is a army battle-based FPS/vehicle action, not following storyline (at leist not for the time bieng).

Guys, I think on the Endor maps, for certain reasons, Ewoks should not be included (although I still support them as a SWGB2 civ).

Instead, the Ewok's Bright Tree Village (something like that) could be a neutral base that any team can take over .

Or you could have a cheat to become an Ewok!:ewok:

Well on Endor and Hoth, you could have allies fighting stormtroopers and others. Like Ewoks would help you on Endor and you could have air support from airpspeeders on Hoth.

It's a war game nevertheless so you are with an army! You are not supposed to be alone!

Okay, some indoor combat sounds fine.

I think that the Ewoks could serve as a kind of 'ally,' sometimes staging ambushes on Imperial forces. That would provide some extra fun and relevance to the movies.

Luke's dad: Yeah, of course you'd have allies. But on Hoth, you could be flying a snowspeeder yourself. That'd be fun.

Yeah, that'd be good, but it'd be quite difficult to be able to do either on the same map. Also, I think we should try to stick to the movie storyline- ie we don't want the Imps to kill Han on Endor, we don't want the Rebels to fight off all the Imps on Hoth... I'm not sure how you could work it. Perhaps it could be designed so each side has a particular objective, neither interfering with the plot.

Take the Battle of Hoth, for example.

Imperial Objective: Destroy the Hoth Shield generator, then move inside the base and destroy fleeing Rebels.

Rebel Objective: Keep the Imperials away from certain transports (eg. the Falcon) for *** minutes.

This way, the game should stick with the movies UNLESS the player fails.

Or by killing Han your mission would fail....

I remember this. i dunno if any of you finished Tie Fighter

which is one of the best SW flight sims because of it's good story and because Thrawn is there!

Anyway in one particular mission, you're flying a Tie Defender fleeing trying to avoid capture by some pirates wanting to have the Tie Defender Technology. Well, the pirates captured one of the Mod Corellian Corvette which transported another Tie Defender. Well I thought that if I disable the Corvette with my ino cannons, some reinforcements would cme and retake the corvette. BUT NOOO! It was game over because the corvette didn't achieve it's goal(being captured and hypering out).

Just to say that it might cause the same effect if you killed Han.

I love TIE fighter. Even though it's pretty old, I still think it's downright fantastic.

Anyway, about your idea... hmm. Having something like that happen makes it seem rather forced and unreal. It would probably ruin the gameplay if you end up thinking to yourself, "Oh hell, I screwed up the movie plot." I'd rather not encounter such problems at all- ie, not having the Imperial player battle Han at all.

By the same token, I don't think the player should be one of the main characters (Luke, Han, Leia, General Veers, etc).

Actually, about the Hoth thing: perhaps it's the Rebel trooper's job to keep the Imperial snowtroopers away from the main landing bay until the Falcon leaves, and if he fails, then Han and Leia are indeed captured. Once Han and Leia have lifted off, he/she must get to an X-Wing, cover their escape, and escape him/herself.

On the other hand, it's the Imperial trooper's job to destroy fleeing rebels, and he makes his way through Echo Base to the Falcon's hangar. Unfortunately, he cannot prevent the Falcon and several other transports from escaping. However, he did most of his job- mission success.

What is this SW arcade game?

And what other games have taken a BF1942-style approach to some of the major SW movie battles? I haven't heard of any, and I've played plenty of SW games.

Anyway, the campaign maps aren't all of it. The multiplayer will hopefully be equally prominent. And if it turns out that other games have covered the SW movie battles exactly the same way, we could turn to EU. Though I doubt that would happen.

Archived