Home

Quesadillas

Doubleplus GC

What do you think?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Mmm, yeah! I'm gonna go get one right now!
    • Now way, man! You're crazy, they suck.

• 2 weeks later...

Uni of Michigan's tooth diversity site will be the basis of my argument.

Digestion begins in the mouth with chewing, and plant matter is WAY more difficult to break down and digest than animal tissue, so animals that eat only plants have a very different tooth/stomach system than animals that eat only meat.

Humans have what is called bunodont dentition, which means rounded cusps. Animals adapted for strict herbivory have selenodont or lophodont dentition, with hard edged cusps in vertically protruding patterns for crushing and grinding capability. Animals adapted for strict carnivory have their last premolar (upper jaw) and first molar (lower jaw) shaped like shearing scissors to slice and dice meat (click above for pics of all).

Then we can get into the brachyodont vs. hypsodont discussion. Humans have what is brachyodont teeth with well defined, short roots. Herbivores have teeth that are constantly wearing down, so they have longer roots that push up constantly to replace the part of the tooth that's worn. The vertical protrusions also help with this.

But as leading biologists agree, "Hominids are omnivorous, primarily frugivorous or folivorous" meaning they can adapt more readily to changing diets (omnivorous) but are mainly fruit-eating (frugivorous) or leaf-eating (folivorous). Moon roaches such as myself are sanglivores.

Be careful however to apply animal studies to human studies, because the capabilities of our big brains have overcome the limits of evolution, so they are not defined by their morphology.

As far as humans being weak and pathetic, I'm sure we can all agree to that.

• 1 month later...

Archived