Home

Now here's an Idea!

Guest DarthGohan1016

Hi,

This may seem a little off topic but I think it's the best place to ask:

I've read somewhere on JK.Net that the bonus of the DVD player with the PS2 "shouldn't" be a reason for you to pick it, probably meaning it's not great or something... Would someone care to explain why it's not "great".

By the way I do not own a PSX, or PS2. I am not bashing the system... Just asking a question to better understand.

Also might I add that any replies (if I get any) towards this won't be "bashing the system" since I asked wink.gif

Thanks

------------------

Master of Puppets, I'm pulling your strings

Twisting your mind, smashing your dreams...

Guest Dave Maul

Q: Why shouldn't you get a PS2 just because it can play DVDs?

A: You could get a Dreamcast and DVD Player for the same price.

------------------

Banner.jpg

Guest Dave Maul

I've heard that as well...the best way I can explain it is if you own a walkman with a radio built in, you'll find you don't get as good quality as just a radio on it's own (hope that makes sense). The PS2 is made to play games, the DVD-player is just an add-on for it, so it's not going to be as good quality as something made specifically to play DVDs.

------------------

Banner.jpg

Yeah that makes sense...

'cause my dad... Which is like NOT a video game person wanted a playstation 2 for the DVD player... I waz like riiiiiiiiiight...

Alot of people are like "Hey why not you get a DVD player also"... I just have a bad feeling about it that's all... And I've learned to listen to my instincts... Let go SuperBuen... Feel the ... anyways

------------------

Master of Puppets, I'm pulling your strings

Twisting your mind, smashing your dreams...

Guest skarulez

i own a ps2 and i can say that the dvd player is not as good as a normal one however

its not bad at all and ps2 only cost 300 so with a next gen-console game player 300 is a very good price plus starfighter looks phat

and the games coming out look twice as good and it can only get better

Guest Kurgan

I read a review of the PS2's dvd performance on a DVD review site (I think it was the DVD shrine), and to paraphrase, they said it was just as good as the $100 entry-level DVD players, except for the crappy controls (you'd have to invest another $15-20 in a PS2 compatible remote) using the dual shock.

They said the sound was a tad bit less good sounding on the PS2 than on the commercial DVD player, but otherwise it was comparable.

Obviously for my money a DVD-ROM drive for my computer is not only more cost effective, but also more useful, etc.

Buy a used DVD-ROM for $30 or a new one for $60 and you something just as good if not better (assuming your PC can handle it). And a comparable DVD player is only $100.

The only reason I would get a PS2 is if they had some really great games that I really wanted (that I couldn't get on some other system). That and if it were reasonably priced.

In my mind, getting the PS2 soley for its DVD capability is a waste of money at this point.

Kurgan

Guest kane2028

Only the dvd player is interesting on the ps2.

the gamecube and x-box are better machines (espcialy the gamecube with multi textering).

And of course the games.

The ps2 is really bad at this point.

the gamecube will have lots of good games (including the new rogue sqaudron).

Well how can i say it, just wait for the gamecube and x-box before you buy a console.

(E3 2001!!!!!!).

no i am not your father.

Nintendo promised that they would get rid of the kiddy like stuff.

Archived