Home

The Republic army

Naphtali

Well, the Republic doesn't have an army at the time of Episode 1 for the same reason that the Jedi have become so complacent. They're not needed. They believe the Sith have been extinct for 1000 years, there hasn't been a full scale war for a long time, and all the minor threats can be handled diplomatcially by the Jedi or handled by the armies of systems where the threat originated. They most likely just phased "The Grand army of the Republic" out over a few hundred years or so.

If there's no war, then there's no need for soldiers right? In Episode 1 the Republic had been at peace for a thousand years, so they just didn't really need such a massive army anymore.

Originally posted by Aerothorn

So when was the army disbanded? They obviously don't have one in the period of Episode 1.

In Episode I era there hadn't been a war in a long time. So they probably disbanded somewhere between when the Sith disappeared and the Ep I era.

That seems unimaginable(in real life) not needing an army for so long that you just disband it. I guess since the Sith weren't around causing problems the Jedi were able to get better control of the events in the galaxy. Becoming diplomats and stopping problems before they started. Kind of like Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon in the Jedi Apprentice books.

Originally posted by Hannibal

In Episode I era there hadn't been a war in a long time. So they probably disbanded somewhere between when the Sith disappeared and the Ep I era.

That seems unimaginable(in real life) not needing an army for so long that you just disband it. I guess since the Sith weren't around causing problems the Jedi were able to get better control of the events in the galaxy. Becoming diplomats and stopping problems before they started. Kind of like Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon in the Jedi Apprentice books.

Yeah, can you ever see the U.S. not having an army? crazy thought. Like Hannibal, I agree that they just disbanded because after a thousand years or so they would get the point they didn't need an army.(or so they thought:) )

Hannibal--You read the Jedi Apprentice books?

Archived