Home

Different versions of IJ and the Fate of Atlantis?

Timeless79

• 3 weeks later...

I've just recently acquired the 'talkie' version through Ebay, and I'm having trouble setting up two things.

Firstly, I hear about one second of sound and then it cuts out (only a prob w/ speech) and also I can't use my mouse ingame, because I don't see the crosshairs (until I go out to the menu screen by hitting F1).

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?? I'm going to try the various sound progs I can use to get that aspect working, but the mouse problem eludes me.

I had a lot of trouble until I finally succeeded to get my FOA Talkie version running.

Fact is that it is a quite old DOS application which directly accesses the Sound Blaster hardware. I therefore bought an old Sound Blaster 16 ISA card. I also tried newer cards of which the TerraTec 128 PCI worked best (most of the newer Sound Blaster cards didn't work at all). However, I got hang-ups during fist fight with the TerraTec so I won't recommend it.

I also have an old 486 PC which I meanwhile dedicated to some old DOS apps (including FOA Talkie) which don't run on newer systems. I once tried to update this PC to a Pentium I mainboard but afterwards FOA Talkie did not work anymore, so I reverted to the old 486 board.

Conclusion for me: I'll not change this system anymore. I don't think it's possible to run FOA Talkie on a recent PC. It definitely requires an original Sound Blaster 16 ISA card.

Archived