Home

How do I make grass?

Imperial_thug

weren't those surfacesprites?

No complaints. The community will get a tutorial on surface sprites... I'm sure there's other people in need of that. Many wouldn't even think of using them. This is the first moment the idea of using them came into my mind, no matter the original game had them alright. I have one perfectly appropriate place for 'em, if only I can draw some weeds.

I was looking around in the .pak3 file and I found the alpha textures they used for it in the game, they are in the gfx/sprites folder.

I could just load them into radiant and use them as alpha textures could'nt I? I just really wanted them to be animated like how they are in the game.

I saw a surface sprite tutorial in the SDk but its all about how to code them (something I know nothing about). It does not say anything about how to use the ones that are already in the game.

There's gotta be a simple solution I am overlooking.

Hey Anakin: can you put a link for your tutorials so I can find them, and check em' out? THx.

Thanks everyone for replying.

Well, the surfase sprites are a part of some shader, those in the original game were all parts of some grassland or marsh textures used in the Yavin swamp map, I think. So, to use them, you just apply the proper shader in Radiant. The surfase sprites, that is, the weeds standing upright from the otherwise 2D plain texture, will only be seen in the game. And to speak the truth, I hardly think you'll have any need to know how to code; just copy-paste the original text from the Raven shader and replace the original alpha-channel image names in it with your own.

Yeah I figured it out now, It never occured to me that It was part of a shader. Geez I feel like a idiot for even posting this, but if anyone else wants to know, all you have to do is just use one of these two textures:

texturess/grasspatchy_sprite

textures/grasspatchy_sm_sprite

just use one of them and there will automatically be grass sprites.

I cant believe I didn't figure this out I feel like an idiot. I am really sorry for wasting everyones time here, sorry.

Hey, does anyone know if there are any tutorialls that explain some of these shaders more, like what some of them do (like make grass for example..) or which ones work and which ones dont?

Archived