Home

Autoexecing a CFG file on startup - dismemberment

clu

Hey all

My SP Mod launches via a shortcut on the user's desktop that has the following path:

D:\jk2game\GameData\jk2sp.exe + set fs_game colo + exec colo.cfg

That launches into the MOD just fine and executes my cfg file which is supposed to turn off wall marks, dynamic lights and turn model dismemberment on. It does all except the model dismemberment, and I'm not sure why (in the menu screen, there is just a "blank" next to model dismemberment; no "on" or "off"; also dismemberment doesn't work in-game)

Here's my cfg file:

// generated by Star Wars Jedi Outcast, do not modify

seta g_saberRealisticCombat "1"

seta r_dynamiclight "0"

seta g_dismemberment "1"

seta g_dismemberProbabilities "1"

seta cg_marks "0"

-clu

Thanks much. I actually tried setting it to 100 with no luck. Anyone else have any ideas?

So what actually qualifies as an SP mod, razorace? Apologies for the misnomer. Just trying to do my thing without ruffling too many feathers.

-clu

Oh! You gotta set the cheat mode to on first.

As for SP "mods", none really exist due to the lack of a source code for SP.

As for what you're going to classify it as. A "mission" (for a single map) or a "campaign" (multiple maps) is much more descriptive. :)

OK, I tried the following and it worked:

helpusobi 1

g_dismemberment 3

g_dismemberprobabilities 1

g_saberrealisticcombat 1

seta r_dynamiclight "0"

seta cg_marks "0"

The only problem is that although dismemberment is on when the game is launched, it gets turned off as soon as I load up a map. I saw other posts with this same problem but none seemed to have a solution.

Regarding the Mod vs. Map argument, fair enough. I'll actually think about changing my phrasing on my site and signature. I just don't advise you use the "for the love of God...it's just a map!" approach when trying to offer suggestions on someone's work. It tends to put people on the defensive.

-clu

Not a problem. I'm Mr. Sensitivity ever since I started pulling all nighters on this project.

Thanks much for the help. I'll keep plugging away and post back if I figure out how to get the dismemberment working.

-clu

There are only three values valid for g_dismemberProbabilities:

2 = rare

1 = normal

0 = excessive

Yes, 0 is excessive, not 0 percent or off. 0 is the closest thing to g_saberRealsticCombat without jacking up the saber damage.

Thanks, Emon for the g_dismemberProbabilities (never knew what that meant). I'll keep messing around a bit with it.

I actually have no problem getting dismemberment activated on startup, it just gets turned off whenever I load a map (funny though...dynamic lighting and wall marks behave and stay off as I set them in the cfg file).

I kind of wish there was a way to trigger a cfg file in-game (without bringing down the console).

-clu

Is there a difference between an autoexec.cfg and a "mysettings.cfg" (or whatever). Basically I just have my level load from its own mod folder called "colo" and withing that folder is a file called colo.cfg. My shortcut executable is:

D:\jk2game\GameData\jk2sp.exe + set fs_game colo + exec colo.cfg

Is an autoexec different from that?

-clu

Put an autoexec.cfg in the colo folder and it will be run every time on startup, no matter what parameters you pass to jk2sp.exe. It's like an autoexec.bat in Windows or DOS. I have some miscellaneous stuff in my autoexec.cfg for my mod folder, and it works fine.

Cool, I'm going to do that instead. I didn't really like the custom shortcut solution, so this is better. Funny thing, I just tried my cfg again and dismemberment stayed on when I loaded a different test map, so I think the problem has been solved.

It's probably all been posted before, but I'll post it here just in case anyone wants to do the same (turn dismemberment on, dynamic lighting on, wall marks off automatically upon game startup):

1) Create an autoexec.cfg with notepad as Emon suggested

2) Put it in your mod folder or the root of base directory

3) Paste in the following lines:

helpusobi 1

g_dismemberment 3

g_dismemberprobabilities 1

g_saberrealisticcombat 1

seta r_dynamiclight "0"

seta cg_marks "0"

I think the order of the commands is important because I had problems when doing it in a dif order.

Thanks for all the help gents.

-clu

A good idea to keep your autoexec.cfg organized is to make seperate .cfg files, and just exec them from the autoexec.cfg file, like so:

// This is the autoexec.cfg!

// exec the settings file:

exec colo.cfg

And that way you ensure that your autoexec.cfg doesn't get too big or messy, plus it's easier to add or remove specific parts of it.

Archived