Home

New Saber Interface!!!

Dunpeel

Alike many people, I enjoyed the first version of JK2 prior to any patches and gave up on it after Raven decided to cater to noobs instead of pros. I hope in the future, Raven would not react so suddenly to the flood of whining noobs so quickly and change the gameplay so drastically.

What I enjoyed about JK2 the most wasnt just the ability to use saber and forces, I thought the innovative, new movement (such as walk walking, rolling, backflips) added a fresh feeling to the game. I would like to see more "showtime" style moves.

Ok now for the saber talk. After playing some soul caliber in the past, i thought their melee system was quite unique yet effective. I believe that if JK3 used primary fire as a horizontal attack and secondary fire as a vertical attack, it would give the game some spice as well as not promote the random spinning spamming technique.

With this interface implemented, the blocking system would be simple. A blocking button should be assigned and while holding that down and then pressing the appropriate attack button, it would block accordingly (eg. block+primary/horizontal will mean blocking horizontally). But to make this more realistic, when you block horizontally, it actually stops a vertical attack, and vice versa (if you can picture someone slashing down, you will hold the saber horizontally in front of you). With this system, it would add some skill in blocking and wont result in turtling.

In JK 2, when the jedi is jumping and slashing (or ducking and slashing), it was the same animation/move as if the person was standing. It would be nice if they would make the jump/duck moves entirely different.

Hope you guys can give me some feedback on this.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Jedi moves are important ands its always good that they should be stylish, your interface is interesting to say they do need more moves. They just need to change it from being a button smashing game. They should have 2 options 1 for beginers and 1 for advance players which the first one would be button smashing but it wouldnt have as many moves as the advance controls and the advance controls tho would use more buttons and allow the use of combos :sign2:

i say keep the fancy moves, and add on, i did not mind all the newbs on mp, the game i found was all about timming, i used heavy stance, and with the propper timming, and turning of your charictor, i was abel to defete many many peeps on line without even jumping. so let it be the easy sistem they had for jo, i dont want to have to sit back and try to learn all these combos and crap, in order to look good fighting.

Originally posted by Dunpeel

Ok now for the saber talk. After playing some soul caliber in the past, i thought their melee system was quite unique yet effective. I believe that if JK3 used primary fire as a horizontal attack and secondary fire as a vertical attack, it would give the game some spice as well as not promote the random spinning spamming technique.

Isn't this a little complicated? Besides, you can control what way the saber swings with the mouse and keyboard right now. Why waste two mouse buttons to do it? Regardless, it will not discourage button mashers. They will just be mashing two buttons instead of one.

Originally posted by Dunpeel

With this interface implemented, the blocking system would be simple. A blocking button should be assigned and while holding that down and then pressing the appropriate attack button, it would block accordingly (eg. block+primary/horizontal will mean blocking horizontally). But to make this more realistic, when you block horizontally, it actually stops a vertical attack, and vice versa (if you can picture someone slashing down, you will hold the saber horizontally in front of you). With this system, it would add some skill in blocking and wont result in turtling.

Check out the manual/auto-blocking thread for the discussion of problems with manual blocking as you propose it. Just a few points though. One big thing is lag. All you 56Kers out there will be most upset when the game takes 2 seconds to register that you are blocking. I fear that those players would get mowed down like grass. Secondly, saberists are already at a disadvantage against gunners, because of its extreme short range. It is really only good for defense in gun games, and maunual blocking will put it at an even greater disadvantage, because it will leave openings to get shots in.

Besides, what does the blocking button really add? If all people are going to do is hold it down all the time when they aren't swinging, why not just leave it as auto-blocking and free up one finger for something else?

Originally posted by Blademaster_109

have ne of u played metal gear solid? they had a great way of teaching u moves. u have a tutorial u start out with basic moves and a goal, like get to the flag, then when u beat the tutorial level u get a new one with more complex moves.

Nope. Haven't played it.

Herizontal and vertical attacks as seperate buttons... I my self suggested this as an idea. I got it From Bushido Blade2...

However One of the problems I found play JK2 was that the movement of your feet was unevvected by your saber moves.

When you make swings your body should be lean, and switch in balance.

I just hate the effect of being amble to clear 40 paces before you make a single swing in Red style.

Again as a real swordman, I never found any case where my sword did more damage while move it slowly...

I argue that the styles concept should not be balanced by speed, and power.. It should be back on mode and methode of attack, posibly with very level of defensive vale, and stability.

It would be neat to integrate more disarming, and nock downs. This can be more impressive, if what was added is the ability to roll on the ground when nocked down, instead of havingto just get up right were you fall.

Originally posted by khadaji17

I argue that the styles concept should not be balanced by speed, and power.. It should be back on mode and methode of attack, posibly with very level of defensive vale, and stability.

I agree that balance should not be based on the speed of the swing. I always thought that the disadvantage of the red swing should be a windup or something. This would leave you open longer than blue, which is almost a quick tap.

Originally posted by khadaji17

It would be neat to integrate more disarming, and nock downs. This can be more impressive, if what was added is the ability to roll on the ground when nocked down, instead of havingto just get up right were you fall.

Since the game is trying to emulate movie lightsaber fighting, the above should probably be avoided. In the movies, we almost never see disarming.

Archived