Home

.surf files, why surfon?

Marker0077

This is actually a copy off of a thread I started on JK2Files.com & I am posting it here as well to generate more attention to the issues I address in hopes of modellers creating better models.

Originally posted by Marker0077

What the hell is the point of surfon? if you can just change the file pathname in the .skin file to clear & have it not show that part of the model (the equivelent of using surfoff, except turning it off in the .skin file works for MP & SP, as opposed to just MP), then why is it when you point the .skin file to the skin texture file, you also need to use "surfon" with the model?

This isn't with all models, the model I am referring specifically to is the zam wessel nightgear skin. I can't get the damn thing to work without using the .surf file for that skin. Any help here would be appreciated.

Originally posted by AutoCept

Well, basicly sometime modelers make another part in the model where a part already exsists.

Soo, if you left both parts then it would look wierd, so they make one part inactive. To active it you must turn it off and then use a surfon to tunr it on.

AC, I have just under 500 skins in these add-on packs (the default player select menu only allows 256, so we made it 512 in Duelers ;)), the zam wessel model (nightgear skin) is the ONLY model that defaults any meshes to off. I think that's lame because now I can't make the damn thing work without the .surf file, so there will definitely be no zam wessel nightgear for SP.

Now Duelers doesn't support SP in the main packs (ie, SP only sounds have been removed), however, I am making an SP pack so you can get all those sounds back. If you want a model for SP, all you have to do is copy the .cfg files, the .skin file (maybe rename it if it's not the default) & then model.glm into the kyle folder (I think it's the kyle folder) & voila, instant SP conversion for your favorite model; But because the model defaults the mesh to off, there will be no SP version of this skin unless the modeller makes an SP conversion for it, in which case it will be the only model/skin that you can't do with the Duelers packs, but at least you would be able to play it in SP if you want to do so.

Originally posted by TradRedav

i never use the making the .skin say 'clear', i always use .surfs

and i always wondered what surfon was for :)

in my opinion, .surfs are better, because... well... because :)

.surf files are only good for making something work in MP & not in SP. I use a .surf file for the ugnaught model in skins pack a, it removes the purse & comm. devices for the skin, but when you play in SP it still looks as it originally did - that's useful, however, using a .surf file to disable a mesh when all you have to do is use "clear" (actually, any invalid file/pathname will do, I just like to use clear because I got it from ravensoft somewhere) in the .skin file is overkill & is just not necessarry. If anyone wants to get these models working in SP, they won't be able to make a model work if the mesh is defaulted to off.

While we are on the subject of modeller mess ups, here's another one that I think the modellers should look out for... pathnames to the default .skins in the actual model & NOT JUST leaving it up to the .skin file.

I have a ton of extra skins for a variety of models, but because the model doesn't point to the default skin textures (like the Ackbar model does, as well as all the models from ravensoft) I have to rename the models to different folders because if I don't, & someone is using the old model & doesn't have the Duelers add-on pack (Duelers user would have to be using a new skin for that model, obviously default would show up), all they will see is the model in white &/or grey which looks way lame; With the way I have it set up, the Kyle model will show up instead.

Originally posted by boinga1

SurfOn is for when a surface is defaulted to off....such as the rank pauldron on the stormtrooper model. Zam is NOT the only one. I think the mara model might do something like that, but I'm not sure (haven't checked).

Well I've worked & tested all of these models out, if you find another one other than zam you let me know. I have all the top models & more, skins & all its just under 500 skins. It was originally around 330 -> 350 megs, I got it down to around 130 megs & not only do they do everything they did before, they have more sounds, more skins, & I did a ton of fixes.

Anyways, Mara is not that way, it works just fine using the clear command.

Archived