Home

Modeling & Skinning Tips

Djo'Tarr

Dudes....

Is there anyone out there that wants to help this Newbie to the skinning modding world, to make/create skins ?

What i am looking for is some tips on how to create good quality skins and models. Both for MP skins and also lightsabers. Anything would help to get me started.

Maybe even what programs to use etc. If you can help nudge me in the right direction please mail me @ senjiro@ntlworld.com. I'd be most grateful :naughty::cheers:

[DB] Djo'Tarr :dmaul3:

:lsduel:

For skins use adobe photoshop or paint shop pro.

For models:

Milkshape (Free)

GMax (Free)

(Any software that can export to .md3 or .3ds)

If you want to create your own player models:

3D studio max 4 or 5, nothing else, unless you find someone to do the rigging for you (attach the skeleton and link hierarchy).

I took a peek at your sight and downloaded your Yarel Poof. Should be a laugh fighting against or with :)

I downloaded Milkshape also, i have heard people mention it before. So i'll see how i get on.

IF i get round to making my first model from scratch (took a look at your current projects and read your tutorials), i'll give you a shout if i need some help if thats ok? I got some good ideas for clans skins for The Dark Brotherhood (the clan i am in). So i guess i'll be pestering you for some tips later :D;)

Thanks again dude ;) ;)

Psyko, need your help bigtime! I have created my own skin from Mauls head, and a Shadowtroopers body...only one problem.

I just want Mauls head, and not his body. But when i put the model.glm file in, Mauls head disapears, and all thats there is wee band that would be on the rear of the shadowtroopers helmet.

I tried putting both the model.glm of maul and the shadowtrooper into the same pk3, but got a Maul cross shadowtrooper head...looked wierd!:mad::eek:

Why am i doing this? Because i said i'd make some skins for my House members, and i want to get into it anyway. I know the basics...now i just gotta get over the model.glm file so i can see the skin as i intended it to be.

Would you know how i could alter the accesories.tga so i could take any helmets parts out? :confused: I'd really appreciate the help so i could sort it and then move onto my next skin :)

Hmm skinning isnt really my department, i usually make my own models.

Be sure to check the .skin files for possible error in pathnames.

And if you want to mess around with a .TGA, you should open it in photoshop and look for the alpha channel.

An alpha channel allows you to "paint" out a part of the skin and make it invisible, if that is what you are looking for.

Archived