Home

Poll: Favorite Running Joke

EnchiladaMan

What is your favorite Monkey Island running joke?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Monkey Island running joke?

• Everybody getting Guybrush's name wrong.
    • "How appropriate. You fight like a cow."
    • Guybrush's attempted beard.
    • References to other Lucasarts products
    • Sam & Max References

Guest Das Mole

i voted for the lucasarts products one. the "ask me about grim fandango" and "ask me about loom" badges are great.

I have lots of jokes i like ill just say one though

At the end of MI1 when its like "You have completed The Secret of Moneky Island now you can" then it starts saying things like

Go wash the car. Then it goes Now turn off the Computer and go to sleep. Hehe i nearly fell off my chair at that part

wow. I must say, this poll surprised me. I didn't expect the lucasarts references to be 1st. I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way, of course, but with all the great new material Monkey Island has to offer, it's interesting that the prevailing (in this poll) running joke is the refreshing familiarity of other products. In a way, I see it as lucasarts' (very well done) joke of pruduct placement. I love how the guy in the SCUMM bar goes off about Loom. ha!

I thought about putting the whole MI2 credits ("Turn off your computer!") as an option, but while I thought it was one of the great moments, I didn't really consider that as being a "running joke."

I didn't originally put SamandMax seperately because 1 it's still a part of referencing other products, 2 the lucasarts logo, starwars and Indiana Jones references could just as well be seperate options themselves, and 3 well, looking back, (as of yet) no one has voted for it anyway...

I voted for the names thing.

My real favourite running joke is the inventory-in-pants joke... I still crack up when I see Guybrush pull the Key to the Monkey Head out of his pants... lmao

(EDIT)

How could I forget the "TM" joke?!!?! That's my favourite, hands down. "Melee Island " still gets a laugh outta me.

references to other games/movies/etc. always crack me up:

in MI4 there were only 5 real good though (that i can remember)

"Iron maiden! excelent... i have no idead y i said that"

"you cant handle the truth"

"Not in the face! Not in the face!"

"I don't think I'm the one true king."

and of course, the no-nosed man

yesterday, at statistics class, i started laughing out of nothing, cause i had remembered in MI1, Guybrush, "Oh sure, walk to the sun"

i got in trouble for that though, cause the teacher is a prick.

now ive remembered a quote from Porkys:

PhysEd TEACHER: we have to cacth that man and bring him to justice.

PRINCIPAL: but wot can we do, since youve only seen his prick?

?: ive got an idea: we could call the police and ask [the teacher] to have them draw a picture of him. than we can paste the pictures all over the school with a message, "have you seen this prick? if so, report to the principal at once. do not attempt to catch it, its armed and dangerous"

LOL

Archived