Home

look of monkey 5

thripweed

how should monkey 5 look and play  

95 members have voted

1. 1. how should monkey 5 look and play

• monkey 1 + 2, action buttons, eg, pick up.
    • monkey 3, cartoony feel
    • monkey 4, need I say more
    • simon the sorcerer 3D, 3D environments
    • broken sword, guybrush can die

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for MI5 in 320x240 with graphics like SMI or MI2 if it means a year less production time :). CMI graphics might look nice, but what I never liked about the engine is how his feet would like slide on the ground and he would be moving real slow. (btw those Zelda pics are great, I wouldn't mind MI5 being designed like that!)

the graphics were not rubbish at all on mi1 and 2. in fact, those are probably my favorites for graphics. especially for the time they came out. you do know that they came out in 90-91, right? those were some pretty nice graphics for the time, i think.

The graphics may have been good for the time, but now they are out of date.

Also the monkey island games came out in 1991? I was born in 1991 - yes I'm 12.

Demon Chuckie is right, making a game for die hard fans only is not good for merchandising, esspesially in this case. If MI5 wil look promessing enough for more people to buy it then they would no boubtably rush back to the store and get MI4 or MI3.

i never said to make it in mi1/2 graphics, i know that now they're rubbish, but you have to take into account the time period they were made in.

and guybroom- yeah, i didn't know they were made at that time either, i was born in '90. i was looking at a site and saw that mi1 was made in '90 and #2 in '91, i got them around '96 or '97, so i didn't know.

Hold on.....am I hearing this right? MI1 and MI2 had "rubbish graphics"? And whats this talk of them being "good for their time"? They'll always look great!!!

MI1+MI2 have the best graphics of the series so far. Sure they may have been blocky, with a few less colours than we've become used to, but in my opinion they wiped the floor with MI3 and MI4 in one critical aspect....atmosphere. In MI3, Guybrush looked just a tad too goofy, and in MI4 he lacked a lot of detail.

I dunno, it might just be nostalgia, but I reckon older games just have the edge atmospherically. To me the lack of cutting edge technology seemed to make the developers take a lot more time making the scenes interesting, rather than just looking 'smooth'.

MI1 was and is my opinion the best game ever. I really must get round to using the graphics from MI1+MI2 it to make a totally illegal and un-lucasarts friendly 'proper' MI3.....:)

Anyway, peace to you all.....its been a long night......

MI1+MI2 have the best graphics of the series so far. Sure they may have been blocky, with a few less colours than we've become used to, but in my opinion they wiped the floor with MI3 and MI4 in one critical aspect....atmosphere. In MI3, Guybrush looked just a tad too goofy, and in MI4 he lacked a lot of detail.

same here. :D

same here. :D

• 2 weeks later...

That image at the top of this page is the closest I've seen to MI with modern graphics. Something I really didn't like the cartoony depiction of the characters in MI 3 & 4. When we see the closeup of a few characters in the original, that's how I'll always imagine them. When I first saw Guybrush in MI3 I knew I wouldn't like it. The Guybrush of 3 & 4 still don't seem like the same character. I also hated the "comic" voices (oh my goodness, this pirate bombing my mansion has a New York accent! Comedy gold! :rolleyes: ) The humour is in what is being said, not how it is being said. Well, that's my rant.

Though the style of MI1 and MI2 were not the most advanced, I think (with all my heart) that MI5 should follow the path set by these two games. Even with those pixels so easily visable, those are the most wonderful, loveable pixles ever to be set together. MI3 is also very amusing, but I hope they steer away from the MI4 way.

I may seem a bit too strong with my opinion, but If Guybrush could die, it would so greatly bring down the game that I would have trouble finding the motivation to finish it.

I would love MI5 to look like CMI. The cartoon-y feel made the game a little more hilarious, in my opinion. I didn't have a problem with Guybrush's looks, either.

But since I know that they'll probably never revert back to that, cell-shaded is good, too.

• 5 weeks later...

Though they have great stories and such, I still do not get a thrill out of the Kings Quest games. Most of the reason, I believe, is because you can die (and WAY too easily.)

One of the main motivations of Ron Gilbert (so I hear) to make these games is because he wanted and loved the idea of an Adventure Game where your character couldn't die. It would make it less fun, considering that the whole time, you would have to stay on your toes, making sure not to do anything death-defying or at least a bit dangerous. Consider in MI2: when the cook chases you around with a butchers knife. If he could actually catch up to you and kill you, the humor of that clip would be much less amusing. Also, consider the game "Loom." If (with the CD version, full sound and all) you try to go through the giant whirlpool/tornado in the middle of the sea, Bobbin screams the funniest scream ever to be heard on any game, ever. My buds and I will sit alone and listen to him do it, time after time. Now, if Bobbin died after each of these attempts at going through the whirlpool, all fun of it (and accidental humor) would go. The ridiculousness of the games is what makes them what they are.

Just a though,

Farewell,

Ernil

• 2 weeks later...

Archived