Vivaldi

Gliere

Halvorsen

Holst

Ipolitov

Sain-Saens

Berlioz

Wagner

Obnoxious, lacking any depth, obsessed with effect over substance, introduced inane programs into their music.

Execept for Vivaldi. Everything he wrote was pretty much a rehash of something else he wrote. Not bad, but not worthy of being called the best.

Granted, Tchaikovsky had some good ones, but no consistently high excellence. Piano Concerto No. 1, Violin Concerto, a couple of Ballets, a little piano music were good. The Symphonies were mostly crap, 1812 was mediocre, and I wouldn't use sheet music to the rest as toilet paper.

None of these men is anything compared to Beethoven and the whole world knows it. I was expecting you to name at least one of the only three possible candidates: Bach, Handel, and Mozart. In the end, each falls short, but many come close in individual works (Handel) or in consistenly excellent output (Mozart).

I suggest that the problem is either your self-confessed rejection of taste or else a much more common problem. And that is this: while Beethoven is certainly the greatest composer of all time, he is also, without exception, the most poorly performed composer of all time. So often, so often are the pieces performed too slowly, too loudly, with too many extra instruments, with incorrect or even absent feeling. The effect? Great music becomes average music. Take the 5th Symphony, something everybody knows (or at least the first few bars). I can think of two, maybe three recordings that exist of it that do not suck completely.

If only I had more talent at the piano or with the violin. I would show the world the greatness of Beethoven then. Oh yes, I would show the world...

Archived