Home

SAT: reading

Heavyarms

It's more lovingly known as SAT: "Verbal," I think ;)

But that's besides the point.

I'll mouth off some quick strategies, otherwise, my best suggestion to you is to keep taking practice tests, and perhaps get an SAT Prep book if you don't see your scores improving.

For the analogies: Try making sentences with the two words. Make the definition such that you think you would find the one of the words in a dictionary definition of another.

For example:

GLASS::SHARD

Make a sentence like "A shard is piece of glass."

If you see more than one choice in the sentence that seems to fit that sentence structure, make it more specific, like "A shard is a broken piece of glass."

For the sentence completions: Not much advice to give here...just fill in the word that seems best. Watch out for "sentence changer" words like "although" or "but" or "on the contrary" and stuff like that.

For the reading comprehension: (is this what you meant when you said "SAT: Reading"? Oh well...)...read the passage as carefully and as fast as you can, and underline things that seem important. If nothing "seems" important to you at the moment, you will learn soon, but it all comes from practice.

Again, I suggest, keep taking tests, again and again and again. :D

Good luck!

You taking it this weekend?

When I took my SAT's, my strategy was to just focus on the math. The verbal part was my weakness too, so I did fairly mediocer on it. But the kicker was I was only 1 question from a perfect in math.

Make sure you take the SAT at least twice. I took it once and did ok, then took it a second time and did a little better. Then I decided that it was enough. I am sure if I took again and again I would improve more and more.

But dont stress too much. After you take it, it will all be gone forever. Its all bull**** anyway. Schools only look at it as a quick way of cutting people if they need to. The real value is your grades in classes, extracaricular activities, honors, letters of recommendation, etc.

Good luck.

Archived