Home

Need Mouse Help - Technical Support Offered No Answers

NightFallMyriad

I already posted this in the Technical Support section of the forums, but either people are *******s, or just no one knows how to solve my problem since there are no replies (or even views).

So my problem goes like this:

Awhile ago I uninstalled JKII in favor of playing the game as 1.02 before the nerfs, but I recently decided to update so that I could have the 4 extra maps. I only play single player since multiplayer is a big waste on my computer. I frequently ping higher than 900 and the saddest part is that I have cable . But nevermind that, I'm not here to bitch about script-kiddies stealing my bandwidth so that they can talk smack over MSN, my problem is far more deep rooted...

Now that I've updated to 1.04, I'm getting this old bug I used to get. I'd forgotten all about it since I had ditched JKII in favor of playing Diablo 2 hardcore for a period of about half a year, but now here it is again.

You see, I have a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical mouse. It's nothing terribly fancy, in fact, I believe a lot of people have one. In addition to the standard left, right and wheel buttons, it sports two side buttons for navigating the web more effectively. In JKII, the game refers to these buttons as MOUSE 4 and MOUSE 5 for left and right respectively.

I like to use these buttons as push and pull, since I think this is an intuitive setup and works quite nicely for me.

There's just one small f'ing problem. Every sing time I use push or pull now, my saber throws. There is nothing I can do to stop this. I've tried reconfiguring the keys and using binds as well as diabling secondary attack completely, but for whatever reason, whenever I have press MOUSE 4 or MOUSE 5, no matter what they are configured as, the result is that on pressing the button, the configured effect occurs (in my case push or pull) and then as soon as I release the button, secondary attack takes place. For the longest time I thought it was only a bug with my saber, but now I've done some testing and I've discovered that it happens with all weapons. More mysteriously, and even more frustrating, sometimes my light amplication goggles activate, which is basically a death sentence in both SP and MP. I can't tell you the number of times I've died because of this in either setting.

So far the things I know about this bug are:

- This is exclusive to 1.04 since I never had this bug prior to updating, but I don't know about 1.03

- This bug occurs in single player and multiplayer

- This bug occurs only on the release of the side buttons

- This bug has nothing to do with the configuration of keys or the binding list

- This bug does not have to do with the MS software (since I've tried disabling it in windows, result is that none of the extra buttons work at all :mad: )

- I have the latest drivers for my mouse

If anyone can offer any useful suggestions, I would be very appreciative.

Another interesting side note is that my desire to update spawned mostly from the desire to play on the four extra maps, but as some sort of poetic irony, the map I most wanted to play can't be found for some reason, and the installer says I'm already updated, but there's no sign whatsoever of duel_hanger. In fact, I'm missing more maps than that for some reason...

I can't I've been very impressed with the way JO was done - in fact it's been a let-down since the first day I played it on the first day it came out. But it's still a fun game and I still enjoy certain aspects of it. It's just these little bugs that frustrate me beyond my wit's end!

:swear:

I haven't heard of this problem either. The only thing I would check is the config files. These are the jk2config.cfg and the jk2mpconfig.cfg files. In there it shows what commands all your keys are bound to. Make sure that things are configured the way you want them. You can edit the file manually if things are screwed up.

And flaming these boards and then asking for help isn't likely to get you very far :D

I use a MS explorer optical and I use the big thumb button as my back key.

If I set it up in the menu it reads it as mouse 4/5 (I forget which) and although it will walk back it also turns the saber off/on every time I press and release it.

Easy way I fixed it was I went into the mouse software and changed the big thumb button to function as "CTRL".

Went back into the menu and rebound the key and all was well.

The software gives you several options in regards to what you can change the keys to; just make sure it is something that is actually on your key board like CTRL or ALT. JK2 will not read cut/copy/paste as a key.

The latest version of the software also has the ability to bind those keys to CTRL/ALT or w/e specifically for that application.

So your mouse 4/5 would still be forward/backwards in Windows but would function as ALT in JK2.

I think I tried that before, although I'm not sure it worked after that. I suppose I'll try it again.

The mystery still remains as to why this wasn't an issue in 1.02.

The fact that it is a problem only with the patch leads me to suspect that there is a conflict between my hardware and it's software components and the game's patch.

I think I'm just going to uninstall the game and either reinstall it and keep it pure or shelve the game for something else.

My computer sucks anyway and I can't run most games. I guess it's back to the classics for me....

Originally posted by Prime

I haven't heard of this problem either. The only thing I would check is the config files. These are the jk2config.cfg and the jk2mpconfig.cfg files. In there it shows what commands all your keys are bound to. Make sure that things are configured the way you want them. You can edit the file manually if things are screwed up.

In addition, when playing on different servers, your binds/controls might change.

They don't.

But each mod when it is first run copies the jk2mp.cfg from your base folder.

From that point on that mod only reads the cfg in the mod sub folder. So if you change a bunch of stuff in a base jk2 server then go and play on a VAM server that has a previous cfg generated you will be reading the old config generated in that VAM folder.

This is why a lot of times if you find yourself constantly having something that you just changed like a name going back to a previous setting; it's just you connecting to different mod servers and reading separate cfg files.

Originally posted by shock ~ unnamed

They don't.

But each mod when it is first run copies the jk2mp.cfg from your base folder.

From that point on that mod only reads the cfg in the mod sub folder. So if you change a bunch of stuff in a base jk2 server then go and play on a VAM server that has a previous cfg generated you will be reading the old config generated in that VAM folder.

This is why a lot of times if you find yourself constantly having something that you just changed like a name going back to a previous setting; it's just you connecting to different mod servers and reading separate cfg files.

That explains why on some servers it would use my old name and key set up.

Yeah I've tried to explain this to some of our regulars and even one of our clan members but they never listen.

You should *never have to un install/re install *any Quake 3 based engine game unless you do something stupid like altering your pak0 file.

No matter how bad you screw up your game settings or what you change in the console all you have to do is delete your jk2mp.cfg and it will generate a new one the first time it is run again.

What I do is after I install the game I go and set up all my controls and settings then I right click> copy> paste a back up of my mp config somewhere like the desktop or w/e.

Every few days I go and delete all the jk2mp.cfg files in the base and mod folders and just paste a copy of the one I made into my base folder.

This way I'm always running on my personal default settings and not having to constantly rebind or fix things I mess with.

Archived