Home

AoM or AoE (Gold Edition)

pbguy1211

Okay, I thought SWGB:CC looked cool one day so I bought it. Got hooked... been playing it for over a year now. I consider myself a very good intermediate player. But CC is getting a little stale... so I boguht AoM and AoE Gold.... yes I officially have too much money and free time.

Now I see AoM has only 3 civs, but the God powers look complicated. Whereas AoE has like 13 civs. I'm assuming there's no air in these games for obvious reasons... but what's so different/good about the 2? I've heard rave reviews of AoM, and AoE is older but supposedly good. Is one better than the other? And how do they mainly differ from SWGB?

Thanks for any info!

Well, the thing I like about AOM is that you don't have to spend so much time gathering rescources, so you can advance through the ages rapidly and concentrate on the real fun, which is slaughtering you oppenents and inflicting wicked God Powers! I do still like the AOE games, I have all of them, but they take alot longer to play, because of having to gather rescources and what not.

Did I mention that in AOM, your crops do not expire? Food for thought. :cool:

What do you mean with AoE, there is:

Age of Empires

Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome (Expansion pack)

Age of Empires Gold (all of the above)

This started it all. It's very cheap to buy. It's a good game, but compared to the others in the series ... it's crap to play. You can give it a try tough.

Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings

Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings: The Conqurors (Expansion pack)

Age of Empires II Gold (both games above)

Age of Empires Collection (AoE gold and AoE2 gold in one box)

Age2 is a CLASSIC. You should have it ... not so expensive anymore I think. Great gameplay ... still much played on-line and on LAN-party's

Age of Mythology is just the next step. Familiar gameplay with new elements. It's not worse than Age2 if you think that. I doesn't have 3 civs, it has 9 and each civ is costumizable when you progress through the ages. God powers you can like, or you can't. It's fun to use them ... but can be frustrating when used against you.

Personally, AoM is my current favorite. But if you don't have AoK (AoE2) yet, you might wanna check that out first. The step from AoK to AoM is easier than from AoM to AoK.

AoE II Gold with the included expansion pack.

my bad for not clarifying. it was only $30 so i figured why not.

The 13 civs looks nuts... is it similar to SWGB in that everyone has similarlike units with minor differences as upgrades?

the thing that seems odd about AoM to me is that there are only 3 civs. But I was always a big fan of Greek Mythology so I figured why not.

Originally posted by pbguy1211

Now I see AoM has only 3 civs, but the God powers look complicated. Whereas AoE has like 13 civs.

The difference here is that in AoK, the civs aren't that much different from each other. Very much like in SWGB (since SWGB is the star wars version of AoK), except that in SWGB, each civ had their own looks on buildings and units, wich is not the case in AoK. Each civ has one unique unit, and one uniqe technology if you play The Conquerors, they have their own civ bonuses, and the civs can access different things from the tech tree.

In AoM, the 3 civs are all uniqe, each of them has their own set of uniqe technologies and units.

I'm assuming there's no air in these games for obvious reasons...

In AoM, there are three air units, all of them are myth units, but only one of them can be used for combat. Nothing except from that.

I've heard rave reviews of AoM, and AoE is older but supposedly good. Is one better than the other?

Both are very good. I sure like AoM, but I have no idea of how many hours I have spent playing AoK.

And how do they mainly differ from SWGB?

Since SWGB is basically AoK in Star Wars, there will be very many things that are totally alike. But the games are, however, also pretty different. AoM has very few alikenesses with SWGB.

To me, AoE was revolutionary. It was the first of its kind that I played and I was hooked. The prospect of "controlling civilizations and leading mighty empires" blew me away.

But now I find it rather redundant, but by no means boring...I play it from time to time.

AoM, I can only speak about the demo, I played it, it seemed like a copy of AoE with a couple of features (like god powers and stuff) added on, so it didn't hook me on so I never got it.

That's all I have to say about that. AoE basically got me interested in SWGB and introduced me to this place. (I never really got SWGB in the end, though) :p

AoM does NOT have 3 civs ... it has NINE!!!

It has three cultures that play totally different and each culture has 3 civs.

There is:

Norse:

Odin

Thor

Loki

Greek:

Zeus

Poseidon

Hades

Egypt:

Ra

Isis

Set

The 3 civs within a culture are is different to each other as any civ in all the Age games, maybe more. For example, Thor gets the dwarven armory and dwarves that are alrounders. Odin gets some ravin' ravens to explore early ... bot are Norse, but play different.

Also, when 2 players choose the same civ, they can end up in the 4th age with different bonusses, Godpowers and myth units. Advancing through the ages you get a choice between 2 minor gods with all their extra's. If you choose one, and your opponent chooses the other ... the civs are different again.

So in fact ... it's even more than 9.

Archived