Home

I'm goin' a paintballin', what should I expect?

Heavyarms

Originally posted by Heavyarms

I'm going paintballing this weekend to a outdoor course. What should I expect at the place, and what are some good tips.

Also: Anyone know what a paint grenade is?

First and foremost, expect to have some fun! :D

Secondly, realistically, expect a whelt or two wich usually comes with a sharp pain lasting but a second at the time of being shot.

You should be prepared to work with a team. That means following plans, paying attention to who you're aiming at, and covering your teamates.

Also, remember to be courteous to others, if they are hit, don't hit them again and again. They are out, let it go. Don't shoot someone at point blank range. Even with protective gear, it is still dangerous.

Watch and learn from others, but it's pretty simple. Keep your eyes and ears open. Don't waste paint taking ridiculous shots. Like they are over 200 ft away and you fire off rounds. You just waste paint and alert them to your presence.

Probably the most important thing to remember is:

No matter how fogged up you get, how frustrated you become or for any other reason, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER remove your mask while in the playing field. If you remember that, you'll have fun, guarenteed! :D

EDIT: A paint Grenade in a manufactured grenade that functions as a sort of Paint "Water Balloon". You pull teh pin and throw it. When it hits the ground it sprays paint in an about 10' - 15' diameter. The most common one is the Tippmann SQUADBUSTER. It rounds about $4.95 a piece. They are a one time use kind of thing. A big waste of money if you aske me! ;)

Expect PAIN...LOTS OF PAIN. No no, j/k

It's actually not that painful.

hmm...what to expect. First off, remember it's fun. that is the key element IMHO. Don't forget to have fun.

Don't feel intimidated by the regular players. Paintball is a community (kinda like a forum community). Most people are nice and will help you...all you gotta do is ask. So don't be afraid to ask.

ALWAYS BE SAFE! ALWAYS BE SAFE! ALWAYS BE SAFE!

I can't stress this enough. Paintball is a very safe sport, but only because everyone obeys the rules. They will explain the safety rules to you. Its very basic. Example - always wear your googles in the paintball field area.

A few quick tips:

1. never poke your head up above a bunker. Always pop out the side.

2. Stick w/ your teammates. Provide cover fire for each other so you can move and flank your opponate. (wow I can't spell)

3. Don't fire blind. (example - don't stick your gun out and fire without aiming.

Well, I would say more, but I gotta go. Havoc has a lot of experience, and so do some of the other guys. They'll have some more good tips for you.

EDIT: Sorry I repeated alot of what Havoc said. We were typing @ the same time.

I have a question: what position should I fire from: Prone or crouch?

And is it better to pull the weapon up in front of my eyes if I aim so that I get a more accurate shot?

As far as position goes, it's all personal preference. Although, remember this: When you have to move/dodge it's a whole lot easier to move, roll etc. from the crouching position than it is from the prone position. ;)

I always aim, of course the Tippmann 98 makes that easier with a top mounted site. You can use your paintballs, provided they are a bright color, as "tracers" to correct your shots on the fly, but that wastes alot of paint. You'll find your paint will last longer and you'll become a better player if you take the time to aim your opening volley. Of course, during the heat of a intense firefight, it's hard to settle down and aim, you may just find yourself pulling teh trigger until you dry firing! :D

A few more things..

1) It's your first time, so you'll probably use a lot of paint. Everyone does. That's hard on the pocketbook, so bring a lot of extra cash. Like $30-$50.

2) Secondly, since I said that, you'll probably make an effort fo be stingy with your paint. Don't. It's your first time out, and if you have the money to spend, spend it, and don't worry about your ammo. You'll have more fun if you don't have to worry about a few rounds missing.

3) Rounds from most rental markers will *NOT* fly straight after about 50-75 feet, depending on the markers your using, and they won't always curve the same direction. Deal with it.

4) If you pull the trigger and nothing happens (and I mean nothing: no noise, no flying paint, no recoil jerk), it's most likely uncocked itself. Ask the guys running the field how to **** it *before* you play the first game. If it still doesn't work, call out, and go get your tank refilled (should be free, so don't worry).

5) Barrel plugs are your best friend when you're not on the field. Last time I went out, a guy dropped his marker in the water, and the reactive trigger got fouled. When he put it on the table, the safety for knocked off, and it put a round into my inner thigh from about 3 feet away, at roughly 297 feet per second (what his marker chronoed at). I'm pretty lucky too, cause three seconds earlier I was facing the barrel, but someone got my attention. Three seconds saved my testicles from certain peril. ALWAYS HAVE A PLUG IN YOUR BARREL WHEN YOU'RE NOT ON THE FIELD. The nuts you save, might be your own.

6) That said, don't wear a cup. It'll just restrict your movement.

7) Don't be afraid of getting hit. It doesn't hurt that much, and odds are, if you're scared of the balls, you're staying in a bunker somewhere, and will get pinned down. Don't be afraid to move, even if there is someone a few yards away putting the occasional round through the trees. It's harder to hit a moving target than a stationary one.

8) The paint is water soluable, so don't worry too much about ruining your clothes. However, you *will* get dirty. Expect mud, dress accordingly.

9) Good footwear is a must. Wearing sneakers in a combat environment is asking for ankle damage.

10) If you aren't physically active on a semi-regular basis, prepare to be *reeeeeally* sore the next day.

Man, i used to love paintball. This brings back a few memories...

Anyways, a few tips:

1. If you are playing in the woods, use the trees. It sounds obvious, but you'd be surprised. It's nearly impossible to hit someone when standing behind a good tree, but poeple will certainly try, and waste alot of paint in doing so. Also it's just a quick step to get into your own firing position, then back into cover.

2. Keep moving! Don't stay in one place for too long. If you do, people will zero in on you and it's likely that you will get shot or pinned down where you can't move. However, if you keep moving you can remain one step ahead of your opponent, giving you a better chance of open shots and making yourself less of a target. Better yet, if you can quickly move from cover to cover, tree to tree, you'll be a real thorn in your enemy's side.

3. Don't worry! Like others have said, it really doesn't hurt unless your hit in, uh....tender...places. Take your chances, don't worry about getting hit, it doesn't hurt, ad there'll be another game for you to rejoin soon enough.

4. Wear gloves. I once got shot on the hand and started bleeding pretty badly. It left a nasty scar for a while too. Ouch.

5. If the balls aren't shooting straightly, try turning down the velocity. If you land good shots, the balls will still break, trust me.

Alright, don't know if these are still needed, but it was fun anyways. They always worked for me, so hopefully they will be usefull to you too.

OK, so I have right now:

1. Don't shoot unless you have a target.

2. Use the cover that's there.

3.Don't wear good clothes.

4. Throw on my running shoes.

5. Wear a pair of "gloves" (what do you reccomend.)

6. Move.

anything else?

I don't know, i never wore them. That was the problem. :D

As for other tips, i don't know. I always used to like to work alone and try to flank my opponents, letting my temmates distract them head on, where most people tend naturally stay and fight. That's just personal preference, though.

Ideally, you would want Shooting gloves, more specifically, Shooting Gloves made for paintball ;)

Shooting Gloves are gloves that are usually leather (Though some are nomex) with the fingertips cut off to aid in trigger pulling and other gun related tasks (Reloading, safety on/off etc).

Realistically, Any "thin materialed" glove (Winter gloves are too bulky and would prohibit you from pulling the trigger or working the gun all together) like Weightlifting gloves, driving gloves, golfing gloves, batting gloves, etc. Anything that will help deaden the initial impact from the paintball on the skin and knuckles of your hand.

Also, a neck protector can be quite nice, but not vital, because a paintball in the jugular, voicebox, or the adam's apple can really sour your day! :D

Originally posted by Tie Guy

I don't know, i never wore them. That was the problem. :D

As for other tips, i don't know. I always used to like to work alone and try to flank my opponents, letting my temmates distract them head on, where most people tend naturally stay and fight. That's just personal preference, though.

In other words, Tie let's his teamates take all the hits while he hides in the woods waiting for the enemy to dwindle down and he can make the perfect shot. :p

j/k

Actually, Flanking is a vital strategy in paintball (Specifically Woods ball) and should be employed if your team expects to win.

Also, hit ans run tactics work well against a team that stays togethor in one group. In other words, Guerilla warfare is your best friend. Have you and 1 teamate Make a shot or two, then don't stick around for the heat. 1 guy lay down supressing fire while the other begins to high tail it out of there, and then the member providing cover follows you. Run, hide, regroup, and repeat the process. Again, this is when you are low on men, and the other team refuses to break up into smaller, more managable targets. :D

Originally posted by Havoc Stryphe

In other words, Tie let's his teamates take all the hits while he hides in the woods waiting for the enemy to dwindle down and he can make the perfect shot. :p

Exactly! You're smarter than you look...err...type...err...nevermind. ;)

I mean, why not let those who like to hide in open spaces take the hits? ;)

About the pain. I went to visit a paintball field today were I'm planning to have my friend's bachelor party. While talking to the manager, he gave me a really good definition of what happens when you are shot.

It's not the pain that really gets you, that last just a second. Most of it is the anticipation and adrelline. You build up all this adrelline and it peaks while you're playing. (that's why it's called an extreme sport) When you get hit, your adrelline level goes from max to almost zero. That sudden fall is where a lot of the pain comes from.

5) Barrel plugs are your best friend when you're not on the field. Last time I went out, a guy dropped his marker in the water, and the reactive trigger got fouled. When he put it on the table, the safety for knocked off, and it put a round into my inner thigh from about 3 feet away, at roughly 297 feet per second (what his marker chronoed at). I'm pretty lucky too, cause three seconds earlier I was facing the barrel, but someone got my attention. Three seconds saved my testicles from certain peril. ALWAYS HAVE A PLUG IN YOUR BARREL WHEN YOU'RE NOT ON THE FIELD. The nuts you save, might be your own.

Wow, the paintball gods were on your side that day. ;)

Also, I've noticed more and more fields requiring barrel socks instead of barrel plugs.

EDIT: Although you can get some really nice gloves online from JT, PMI, or many other manufactures, but even Walmart has a decient pair of gloves for about $5.

Originally posted by Praetorian

About the pain. I went to visit a paintball field today were I'm planning to have my friend's bachelor party. While talking to the manager, he gave me a really good definition of what happens when you are shot.

It's not the pain that really gets you, that last just a second. Most of it is the anticipation and adrelline. You build up all this adrelline and it peaks while you're playing. (that's why it's called an extreme sport) When you get hit, your adrelline level goes from max to almost zero. That sudden fall is where a lot of the pain comes from.

Nah, i don't buy that. I played a ton of times and the only times i can remember were it hurt at all were when i got shot on my hand and when i got shot on the dead meat of my calf (that one left about a 2 inch diameter purple and blue whelt for two weeks.)

I think it's just the opposite of what you're saying. The adreneline is proably what keeps it from hurting. It's certainly pumping though, you can be breathing hard after a match even if you never ran around or anything.

You know, now that I really analize it and read what you said, I think your right. But I also see part of what he said too (kinda)...the anticipation and addreline combined w/ you being afraid makes you think it is going to hurt (when your a newb) more than it really does, but once you've been hit once or twice, it's over. (as in the being afraid of the pain is over...the addreline will always overflow during matches)

Yeah you can't expect to much from rentals when it comes to accuracy (you were using a rental right?)

Sometime you take a beating of paint and bruise really bad, sometimes you don't (actually, most of the time you don't)

the worst I've ever seen was a friend you got shot point blank in the ribs...he hadn't eaten breakfast or anything else that day, so he went into shock. He was shaking really badly. Thankfully, another one of our friends with us is in sports medicine and he was able to help stablize him.

The true question is, did you have fun?

Archived