Home

Fan fiction...

What are people's thoughts on fan fiction here? I personally like most fan fiction, although admittedly the quality of some of the fan fiction out there is quite dubious, but for the most part, I reckon it's interesting to see what other people's different variations on the MI theme are. Plus, I'm currently writing a fan novel, a sequel to EMI, but I've made it much darker than EMI, indeed, I think by the end some people will think I'm truly evil, BWHAHAHAHAHA!!! :chucky: (I'm not btw, I just have quite a dark, twisted imagination for a completely different Monkey Island experience..)

What's to say? It's like any other fan endeavor: art, music, fangames... just rearranging all the Monkey Island elements and trying to come up with something interesting. I prefer words to pixels, so I like Monkey Island fanfiction. I tend to read a lot of it.

What would be wonderful is if there were just a few more active writers, and thus a community could form... but there's just not the critical mass at the moment.

Looking forward to your EMI sequel. Dark is good.

Joshi has a fan novel. It's hosted on worldofmi, so i can't link you at the moment for obvious reasons. It's also a sequel to EFMI except with less politics and more voodoo.

If you want to read it, email me and I'll send the doc.

I personally like the written word as much as the artwork (which is why I do both). But I'm not into too many fangames, for no reason other than I'm not. I generally like to do art connected with what I'm writing (I like really dramatic pictures which fits into the drama and action of the novel).

Hmm.. I wish this forum could have let me use my other username, but it had too many letters... I'm monkeyislandfanatic on the world of MI, and so I think you have read at least some of my fan novel Ryback. But I agree that it would be great if there were more active writers in the MI community, but very few people seem seriously interested in producing MI fan fiction...:(

Originally posted by Ryback

What would be wonderful is if there were just a few more active writers, and thus a community could form... but there's just not the critical mass at the moment.

I feel that there isn't really a critical mass for any fan creation at all. (Almost noone dears to say what they really mean about the creations. It is always "That is good" and "that is great" even though it isn't. If they dare not say the truth about things, then rather try and help them, and give the artists suggestions on how to make the art better.

But I agree that fan fiction has more problems there.

The strange thing is that many people say they don't like fan fiction, but there are few or no comments on the actuall fan-fictions saying the same thing.

Now when there isn't any new monkey island game in production. Wouldn't it be natural for the comunity to look after its fan creations, and judge it, and praise the better of it?

Okay, so I think three people have said they liked my fan novel, and that's about it, they haven't said why (one commented on my use of good grammar and spelling, but as an english student, that's not that hard). Then someone else said that they did not like it and gave a lot of valid reasons to why he didn't like it (he actually only referred to the first chapter considering that was the only one up at the time) still saying that later chapters could show promise (my first chapter sort of laid the path for following chapters and he could see that). As an artist, I'm always up for critisicm as thats the only way we can develop (and I would actually show you the critisicm if worldofmi wasn't down at the mo).

In conclusion (yes, this thread did have a point) I like it a lot more when people validate their praise for me, then just telling me, 'Yeah, it's good, can't wait for the next chapter', why can't they wait? The other guys comment may not have been a good one, but at least it explained itself.

Again, if you want a copy of my novel, (I'd link you, but worldofmi is down) email me at neil_joshi@hotmail.com and tell me what you think.

I like good, engaging fanfiction. I hate crappy fanfiction. So if I like something and want to read the rest of it, I'll say so, so that the author doesn't give up. If I hate it, I won't say anything.

Now that I know Joshi likes some constructive feedback, I'll critique Chapter Three of his novel. (hint hint) Did you write it yet, honey? If so, would you send it to andythepirate@hotmail.com?

Many thanks! :)

Originally posted by Captain Andy

I like good, engaging fanfiction. I hate crappy fanfiction. So if I like something and want to read the rest of it, I'll say so, so that the author doesn't give up. If I hate it, I won't say anything.

Why don't you say anything if you hate a story?

If you hate it, and keep quiet of it, you can't expect the author to improve, neither the quality of fan fiction in general.

The world is a harsh place, and so the authors should manage to handle comments made by people who hate their stories. They won't improve if the only things they hear about their stories is that it is great, even though it is not. So I hope that you would comment on the fan fictions you didn't like either, and give the reasons for your feelings. Then the author might change upon his writing, or not, but at least the author is aware of the stories faults.

Archived