Home

SW Galaxies like Everquest???

NightWalker2000

Sorry if this sounds like a really dumb question. However i am a big Everquest fan and have decided to put that down and put all my attention to this game. Is this suppossed to be the same as EQ in many ways except in Star Wars format? Like having expansions every 5 or 6 months and paying a monthly fee? Also having to level up? If so have they made a max level yet like they do in EQ? Also are they offering the first month free as did EQ?

Any answers would be great thanks NightWalker2000

EQ was more of an MMORPG for the novice RPGer. SWG is much more indepth and much more to do than fighting. Also it's much more complicated than any other MMORPG, the skills are a fine example of that.

I'm not sure when, but the space expansion's coming out sometime after the release. This basically allows you to buy space-ships and travel around space.

As for the free trial, I don't think so. Maybe 15 days.

Any futher questions, please read the FAQ below.

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/features/faq.jsp

Well, the 'no max level' is because there are no levels! And that is good, because level systems are stupid and very non-roleplaying. Level systems are merely a plague that riddles the poor lands of roleplaying. Oh, and in what other parts is it better than EQ? You mean the fact that there's no classes, setsuko? Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Classes are a very dumbed down version of reenacting reality, and I am glad that SWG decided against it. No levels, no classes, that's the way I like it. Oh, and the fact that you don't get additional Hit Points and stuff as you get more experienced. That is also a ridiculous way to solve character advancement, courtesy of the old, ugly D&D heritage. Oh well, enough of my evil rantings. On to the topic:

You are indeed correct, it is a MMORPG, just like EQ. The main difference is that this game's developing cycle saw the release of several MMORPGs, and therefore was able to learn from those MMORPGs' failures. Yes, it will propably be thin on content at release. But so was it with every single MMORPG that was ever released. And yes, the first month is free. And yes, the first expansion will be the space expansion with it's spaceships and space combat (out in 2004), and there'll undoubtly be several expansions after that, with new species, planets, areas etc. Oh, and did I mention that every planet is as big as the entire EQ world? And that you can customize every part of your character except for race and sex after you create it? That is even attributes and professions? My point is; if you like EQ, and like Star Wars, you'll propably love SWG. :)

Originally posted by setsuko

Well, the 'no max level' is because there are no levels! And that is good, because level systems are stupid and very non-roleplaying. Level systems are merely a plague that riddles the poor lands of roleplaying. Oh, and in what other parts is it better than EQ? You mean the fact that there's no classes, setsuko? Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Classes are a very dumbed down version of reenacting reality, and I am glad that SWG decided against it. No levels, no classes, that's the way I like it. Oh, and the fact that you don't get additional Hit Points and stuff as you get more experienced. That is also a ridiculous way to solve character advancement, courtesy of the old, ugly D&D heritage. Oh well, enough of my evil rantings. On to the topic:

You are indeed correct, it is a MMORPG, just like EQ. The main difference is that this game's developing cycle saw the release of several MMORPGs, and therefore was able to learn from those MMORPGs' failures. Yes, it will propably be thin on content at release. But so was it with every single MMORPG that was ever released. And yes, the first month is free. And yes, the first expansion will be the space expansion with it's spaceships and space combat (out in 2004), and there'll undoubtly be several expansions after that, with new species, planets, areas etc. Oh, and did I mention that every planet is as big as the entire EQ world? And that you can customize every part of your character except for race and sex after you create it? That is even attributes and professions? My point is; if you like EQ, and like Star Wars, you'll propably love SWG. :)

That's true, because plumbers don't walk around with a sign saying "Level 14 plumber" on them, and when you attack somthing you don't magically get more hitpoints and a red-bar above your head.

Yeah tis me...

I kinda got bored of waiting due to US getting it WAY before Europe. But a few friends got into Beta so they was spamming me about what it was like etc. Then when the NDA was up i just thought id read what it was like :rolleyes: Ending up in love with the game once again lol..

Now just gotta wait about 3-6months before you gits pass it along to us. Still gives me time to work up cash so i can buy a new Comp :D

Back on topic... *cough*

hmm... what was the question again :p

Archived