Favourite Cybernetic Character  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite Cybernetic Character

• Rommie
    • R2-D2
    • C-3P0
    • DRD 1812
    • Data

For those of you who missed it (I'm looking at you, Jem), Space will be replaying their first in-house awards show Tonight at midnight, Tomorrow at 3, and Sunday at 5:30.

Normally, I don't give a frell about awards shows, but this one was actually entertaining --largely thanks to Llyr's tongue-in-cheek references to Space's effective poverty. ;)

As for the Winners:

2003 Winners List

Viewer's Choice Awards

*Favorite TV Series

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

*Favorite Canadian TV Series

Stargate SG-1

*Favorite Movie Villain

Dr. Evil from Austin Powers in Goldmember

*Favorite TV Hottie

T'Pol from Enterprise

*Favorite Movie Hero

Aragorn from The Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers

*Favorite Creature Character

Gollum from The Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers

SPACE's Choice Awards

*Science Fiction/Fantasy Movie

The Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers

*Best Horror/Suspense Movie

The Ring

*Best Animated Movie

Spirited Away

*Best Visual SFX

Star Wars Episode Two: Attack of The Clones

*Best Action Sequence

The Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers - Helm's Deep Battle

*Lifetime Achievement Award

William Shatner

*Special Achievement Award

Vulcan, Alberta

What really bugged me was that there was no "Best Cybernetic Character" option. So, I'm holding our own little poll: Pick your favourite cybernetic hero --your Rennaissance bot:

The Finalists are:

Rommie from Andromeda

cast_doig.gif

I'm a warship. I don't like running away from a fight.

R2-D2 from Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones

r2-d2.jpg

ANAKIN: Don't worry. We've got R2 with us.

C-3P0 from Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones

movie3_bg.jpg

I'm so confused.

DRD 1812 from Farscape

1812.jpg

*runs through the middle of a raging firefight beeping the 1812 Overture amidst the explosions*

Data from Star Trek Nemesis

data.gif

I have a desire to improve myself. The B4 does not.

Now, get voting.

I`ve never seen Adromeda and this is the first time I see pne of it`s character and yet I vote for roomie. Why do you ask? Because if all those Cybernitic characters really existed I`m sure that I could do more interesting things with Rommie and that I`d have a lot more fun with her, especially if I could program her at will.

(But my serious vote goes to Data!)

Immanently predictable.

Rommie is actually the AI avatar of the Andromeda Ascendant ship computer. She exists as holograms, flatscreen monitor images, and stormtrooper-like "Rommie-bots." The Rommie seen here is "the Ship Made Flesh" --a specially designed android with bio-engineered synthflesh and a self-sustaining AI unit (so she can function autonomously from the ship's AI if she needs/wishes --resulting in numerous jokes about "talking to herself" ;) ).

Y'know, sometimes I can be a real PAIN IN THE ASS!!
--Rommie, yelling at "herself."

She was built (from a pre-existing Rommie-bot) by Seamus Harper, who confirms that she is anatomically correct. ;)

For my part, I voted for 1812, 'cause he has R2's spunky personality, and is also borderline insane. :nut:

DRDs are biomechanical maintenance units who live symbiotically aboard Leviathans (Farscape's starships-of-choice). Kinda halfway between an ant and an astromech. When a leviathan dies, the DRDs usually slowly go insane (and thus stop performing necessary maintenance on their host), allowing the leviathan's body to start falling apart as it enters "old age."

1812 comes from another leviathan, and has been adopted into Moya's DRD colony. So, he has Moya's consciousness keeping him relatively sane, but he's still kinda loopy. He's also autonomous enough that the characters sometimes take him off Moya (which is normally a big no-no), and let him follow them around.

He's been known to suddenly abandon his repair work and go zipping through the corridors, "singing" at the top of his lungs for no apparent reason. :eyeraise:

The Spaceys were for 2002. You appeared in 2000; by the time the awards got started you were already old news.

By the time of AotC, you're competing with Super-Battledroids over an even smaller fraction of screentime --everyone's distracted by the clonetroopers and Jedi.

Sorry man. :giveup:

Archived