Home

Transformers: Hardwired

A while ago, I announced this.

Well, it's been out for a while now (came out in June). I still haven't read it (*), but there's a review over on BWTF (and folks've been talking on the TF newsgroup).

It looks mediocre at best folks.

It doesn't look like the PTBs have subjected Ciencin to anything resembling an editor or proofreader. Spelling errors abound, as does flat dialogue, bad writing, and way, way, WAY too much gratuitous killing. Remember all the one-shot-kills in the Movie? They're back. And they brought a civilian body count with them.

Apparently, Ciencin was told to make this a more "adult-oriented" story than the old cartoons (hey, children of the 80s are grownups now). He apparently chose to do this by dialing the gore/brutality factor as high as he could get it. Even to the point of stopping his battle-scenes to insert gratuitous and graphic images of human civilians getting, well, mulched.

Judging by the reviews, it reads like fanfic --bad fanfic. :disaprove Which is a shame, since there's so much good fanfic readily available on Lexicon (I especially like Best First).

On the other hand, this is book one of a trilogy, and (according to BWTF) Hasbro:

are actually aware of a lot of the criticism and problems with this book. They intend to improve upon this work dramatically for the next entry in this trilogy.
Of course, this is Hasbro talking, so I'll believe it when/if I see it.

*Slaggin' Canajun book stores don't actually seem to be ordering books anymore. :swear:

Which PS2 game?

The G1 game (of which I posted a trailer here at one point), or the Armada game (which you probably haven't heard about)?

I'd post more about the Armada title, but the site I was pointed toward has since become a dead link. It did have a promo video, mostly gameplay, involving something called "Decepticlones" (obviously, a strategy to allow "generic" armies that the Autobot/players can fight through). It looks really good; cooler than the cartoon (which isn't that hard, sadly), and the Minicons are actually useful (the trailer has a clip of Hot Shot using Jolt as a "parachute" or a "speed power-up").

Pretty much all I know of the G1 game is that it looks to be a sort of "squad-based fighter" --there're screenshots drifting around of what looks like a "player-select" screen, and a "formation" option (i.e., you can play as Ironhide in a three-on-three skirmish led by Optimus, or you can shuffle Optimus into a "sidekick" role and put Jazz in charge).

AFAIK, neither has even been released in Japan yet, though I do recall hearing that the G1 game has been temporarily halted so that the company can get Armada out on time (since the official Armada line will be over by 2004).

Expect the Armada game sometime before Christmas, IOW. I'll post more about the G1 game when I hear it.

If you can track down this month's Official Playstation Magazine, you'll find a few screens of the TF:A game.

The pics only shot Hot Shot & Jolt, but you can apparently also play as Optimus or Red Alert. It's a third-person action/adventure, with 50 Minicons to collect.

Presumably, the actual Armada Decepticons will serve as level bosses, and the Minicons will each offer a specific upgrade (let's hope they include comic-Mirage's cloaking power).

Archived