Home

Restoring saved games on a new pc??? advice needed

zesja

I am getting a new pc shortly and wondered whether it is possible to transfer saved games across to the new pc via floppy disk? otherwise I'd have to start the all the games from the beginning.

Well, it would be different for different games. With some games you can just copy the .sav files from a 'saves' floder onto a floppy disc, install it on your new PC, and then put the saved files from the floppy in the new 'saves' folder. But other games require you to edit text files to tell it the list of saved games.

So if you coudl tell us what games you want to transfer the saved files for, then it would be easier to help.

I think all these games store their saved games in whatever folder they're installed in (eg. C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Grim Fandango). The easiest way to locate the saved games is to go to the game folders in windows explorer and choose 'Arrange icons by... Modified' from the View menu. The most recently modified files will be the saved games. They'll probably be called something handy like 'savegame.001' or something.

Anyway, simply copy these files onto your floppy disk (although Grim Fandango saves in particular are huge so this might be a pain!) and move them into the corresponding game folders on your new computer. They should then show up in-game.

As far as I know, LucasArts games don't use an "index" file to store a list of saved games, so all you need to copy is the saved game files themselves. Good luck. If you can't be bothered with any of this, there are a lot of web sites offering saved-game downloads, which might be an easier option anyway.

Archived