Home

Sega CD Monkey Island 1 Works with ScummVM

ATMachine

I discovered this while tooling around with the Sega CD version yesterday. You'll need a copy of MI1 for Sega CD (try eBay) and the latest version of ScummVM to get this to work.

On the Sega CD of MI1, there are two important files - GAME.000 and GAME.001. Copy these to the directory of your choice, then rename them MONKEY1.000 and MONKEY1.001. Start ScummVM, select 'Add Game,' choose the directory you copied the files to, and ScummVM should recognize it as Monkey Island 1. You can now start the game.

The neat thing is that ScummVM allows you to move the cursor with the mouse like in all the other PC versions. The cursor disappears in conversations, but press 6 (not on the numberpad) to scroll up and 7 (not on the numberpad) to scroll down, then click the mouse to say the dialogue line you've selected.

I must say that this works better than any emulator I've tried the game with. Just one more reason to love ScummVM.

Hmm...in PC ScummVM, the 6 and 7 keys don't work properly in Insult Sword Fighting. The 6 key doesn't work at all and the 7 key only scrolls through the first 7 insults and comebacks. This means that you can only use 7 insults and comebacks in combat.

Still, this doesn't mean that the game is totally unwinnable. You just need to keep dueling with the Sword Master until you get lucky enough to have her use the selectable insults and you can win, I suppose.

Archived