Home

JO's saber, aka the glowing 2x4

JaledDur

Ok as some of you know and some of you dont, the lightsaber in JO is little more than a big three dimensional rectangle, and saber collission, both with the body and especially other sabers, just isn't that good.

From Raven:

Ghoul2 lets us do all sorts of things: it's skeletal, so we can do bone overrides (used to looking around, playing different animations on differents parts of the body at the same time, lip-synching, ragdoll, etc.), it lets us bolt things to the model (like sabers, weapons, burn marks, etc.), it lets us turn surfaces on and off (useful for the custom player models and general model variety and dismemberment) and it lets us have per-poly hit detection (so you don't just hit a big square box around a character and have no idea where you hit him).

This is great, but will the saber not be a big box of damage anymore? Can they make the lightsaber one of these Ghoul2 models itself so that there is per poly hit detection on it as well? The only things that seem to point that this isn't going to happen is that 1) there would be a certain resource overhead for having the saber as one of these complex models(although it physically simply cannot be that complicated, its just a stick after all) and 2) I dont see there being any code to handle collision of one G2 model with another.

I know we have a G2 collission sort of thing we can enable for lightsabers in JO, but I'm not sure what that is *really* doing, in technical terms. What does it do?

Do you think a super well modeled saber is a possibility in JA? Do you think the advent of this new ease of adding sabers (with the *.sab files) combined with the fact that there are supposed to be lots of customizations for them ensure that they are in fact going to be G2 models themselves?

GHOUL2 in SP for the lightsabers is nearly flawless.

g_sabertracesaberfirst 0

g_saberghoul2collision 1

Use those on the MP server, and GHOUL2 collision is enabled. It's buggy and laggy, so it was turned off. Razorace fixed all this, but never finished, he say he'll continue this mod for JA.

Archived