Home

tip for fighting higher-level creatures

chimpuat

a lot of you may already know this, but if someone hadn't explicity told me, i'd probably still be outside bestine shooting lesser womp rats or something.

in the marksman tree for expert ranged weapon support abilities, you get 'warning shot'. i thought this was a worthless ability, until someone enlightened me.

i'm a novice pistoleer, so i have healthshot 1 and 2, but even if you didn't have damage-over-time attacks available to you, this would be a useful ability. when a creature gets within 20m of me, i hit warning shot, and then peace. it seldom fails, but if it does, just repeat those steps. the creature will run off, from anywhere to 30 to over 100m away, giving you time to run away, heal or start hitting it again when it's a safe distance away.

i've used warning shot to hunt matriarch banthas on tatooine and swamp humbabas on corellia, and i take very little damage, because i try not to let them get close enough to hurt me. i've also used it to run away from savage humbabas and any number of aggressive NPC's that seem to have it out for me.

so, things that con 'instant death' to me, so long as they are NOT pack hunters (i don't mess with those), i can take them out. the lesson i learned is to pay more attention to what the new abilities i get are actually for, because like i said, i wasn't even using warning shot before because i thought it was a weak attack move.

just figured i'd share that tip, in case some of you have that ability and were thinking the same thing i was.

Crap. The secrets out. Now they're gonna nerf it.

An excellent tactic though. While it lasts. Also, if you keep a MOB running, it'll eventually run out of burst running ability just like a player does. Then you can usually outrun it and blast away the whole time. I do that to bolle bol's all the time. 2.7k xp per kill and up.

But, I fear now that this will get around it'll get nerfed and I'll be forced to kill 20,000 chubas to gain the xp I need for smuggler pistol skills. :(

Da n00b

i was between wayfar and bestine when i found the bantha herd. they're generally single pulls, but when i fired on one, another came out of nowhere and charged me. seemed like a matriarch bantha would randomly spawn with the herd every so often, so before engaging any of the herd, i always did a quick check to make sure there wasn't one around.

they may be a new addition, since an experienced hunter i mentioned it to had never seen one before either.

Archived