Home

Liars, backstabbers, and deal-crushers in Strategy and tactical games

Dagobahn Eagle

This thread would go with the "What do you think about cheaters' thread wasn't it for the fact that it covers a different way of "cheating": Backstabbing, walking away from deals, lying, and above all never learning and never taking responsibility.

I have this friend who's a notorious backstabber, making up for the lack of backstabbing from my other friends, to say the very least:rolleyes:. To list some of his "efforts":

He once agreed with me before a Warhammer game that there would be "no alliances", then, when I'm on the verge of defeating him... forges an alliance.

I remember one time when we were creating races for a 1v1 Stars! match, and he said that he wanted us to say what traits we were. He said that his race had an expansionist trait [giving them some colonizing bonuses;)].. which I figured out later was not true. The guy had lied right in my face just to get me to give up details on my civ...

Why is this bad? Well, most important of all, because I know now that I cannot thrust him while playing a game. If he offers to send me a freighter with 2500 Oridium in Stars!, how am I to know he's not trying to surprise-invade the colony world his freighter will be "supplying"? How do I know his freighter doesn't carry 2500 crack soldiers? If I make a note that there will be "no alliances" during a game of Empire Earth, how can I know he won't screw the agreement and make one?

I think that I'm not the only one who's mad beause my gaming experience keeps getting mudded up by a person' dishonesty. And while backstabbing is a part of many a game, and can even be fun, I find dishonorable backstabbing like lying really annoying. Anyone else had any experiences?

I remember playing with 2 friends in an rts and 2 of us joined sides to take out the other which was massive...I managed to break through their lines and was starting to take them out and then the guy I was allied with had piled tons of guys inside my base and turned against me...wiped me out and finished off the other player.

The thing I try to remember is that Im playing strategically to win. And that my partner/emeny is doing the same. "Trust no one". But I generally try not to lie or backstab. I also make the caveat "I will form an alliance with you until such time as I see fit to break the alliance" Keeps em on their toes.

You know the old saying "Doesn't matter if you win or lose..." is BS.

Archived