Home

How does the ragdoll system look?

Faustus

JA is the only game I've played with ragdoll physics, so I can't really compare. Some are saying that other games do it better.

In any case, I like it, I think it adds a nice touch to the gameplay and a bit more realism.

As to the dismemberment, we don't know the commands to enable full dismemberment (they seem to have changed from JK2), so all we get now is cutting of hands arms, and rarely a leg, but not every time we score a saber kill.

And yes, there is "saber scarring" and scortch marks on the bodies, which adds some more "oomph" and you can see where you hit people.

Ahhhh...I suppose I'll have to wait for the X-box version to find anything out then. More waiting...sigh.

Incidentally, I like your Tag. I remember seeing Highlander when I was 7 and thinking that the Kurgan was the scariest looking fellow to grace a sci-fi/fantasy screen since Darth Vader. That first shot he appears in, when he's wearing the Wolf-skin and swinging around that two handed broadsword was just vicious looking. And don't even get me started on what that freak did to Ramierez and Conner's wife.

Scary. Glad he's dead.

Yup, bodies droop over ledges and down stairs, and they twitch and bouncy around when gripped, pulled, and shot repeatedly.

And they go into contortions when up against walls.

Hey, it's better than JK2 where they were stiff as a board when dead...

The ragdoll system looks great. I held a dead cultist in the air so the arms and legs just dangled. So its there and looks good. I also placed a cultist on one of those crystal lights on Chandrila. His feet were touching the ground since his legs were bent at the waist but the top of his body was on the light. Head was slightly back since it wasn't on the light.

One cool event occured once to me... I fought one of the dual saber wielding guys in the second level of the demo, me using the staff. Anyway, he had a staircase behind him. I managed to pull off a good kick and the guy tumbled down the steps instead of just faling down. With the correct sounds to accompany the fall - pa-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-tum. Nice.:D

The rag doll physics is slightly toned down in JA i think -

from the likes of unreal tournament 2003 and Raven sheild - Where Bodies used to fall into the splits and bend over backward and similar after kills, although it was quite comical wasnt very realistic.

(though you dont really worry about this in a game like unreal)

The bodies in JA have been "stiffened up" in my view from these earlier engines

I have a cool rag doll story.

I was fighting a Cultist on Chandrilla once with a sabre staff and I just managed to kill him when fighting on one of the pads over the Chasm. Just as the camera was in slow mo and he was just dieing, I managed to kick him. He flew backwards, hit a low wall and tumbled realistically over it, falling into the abyss. It kicked ass :D .

Archived