Home

Building a city or building a base?

Admiral Vostok

What analogy should be made to base building in SWGB2?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What analogy should be made to base building in SWGB2?

• We are building a civilian city
    • We are building a military installation
    • It depends on he civ
    • I don't care (what is Vostok ranting about this time?)

This was inspired by Sith's comment in his template thread about making the Naboo seem like they're building a city rather than a base. This got me thinking about something I've always wanted to extablish in Galactic Battlegrounds, and is worth thinking about for SWGB2. Are we building civilian cities or are we building military bases? There are three ways I can think of to look at it:

:atat: 1) We are building a city. As part of that city we need to deelop a defensive military presence. We are, for example, building Theed or building Otoh Gunga. This is the path taken by the Age series and Rise of Nations.

:atat: 2) We are building a base. There are no civilians: we are merely building something like Echo Base or the Endor Sheild Installation. This is the path taken by Westwood and Blizzard games.

:atat: 3) It depends on the civilisation. I personally think this is the best model for SWGB, and it appears to be what is currently in use or SWGB1. This would split the civs in to two groups: those building cities and those building bases. The Naboo, Gungans and Wookiees, being planetary-based (not galaxy), are the city builders. Their civs aren't just the military of the civ, they are the entire civ including civilians. The Empire, Republic, Confederacy, Rebels, and Federation are base builders, because those civs are galaxy-based (not planetary). Their bases are just military installations, wih no real civilian component to them. They are out to wage war, not deelop new communities.

The difference may seem trivial, but I think it is important to understanding how each civ works. It also relates to techs: rather than researching (they have people "inventing" new things like in Age games) the civs are merely "gaining access" to already existing technologies. They aren't developing as a societal whole (progressing through Ages) but merely as a sub-community or military outpost.

I voted for Military Base building. Reason being is that i originally wasnt sure, but gave it some thought. What i came up with was this-

1. You play as a General, building the military and fighting enemies

2. Cities are also in the game, and are controlled by that civ's military (ie if u are playing on a Naboo map as the Naboo, you control Theed). However, your enemy can capture cities off you and vice-versa as in Rise of Nations. This way, you get the best of both worlds. I figure that cities would give you sonme sort of bonus, such as extra pop slots or constant income.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived