Home

JKII model to JA model...

Hellfire Jedi

I already knew that.. that's not my problem.

My problem is getting a model for both JO and JA that will work like they're supposed to. JO won't work with the lhang bone in it's current state, and JA won't animate correctly without it.

I just was hoping to avoid 2 versions of each model. It's extra work for something that won't be really that different, and I was looking for a way so people didn't have to flood the filesites for two of each model... and possibly avoid some confusion on the user's part.

But with half of the people not going to JA right away (if at all), there could still be a good deal of demand for JO version models, for at least a while.

If Raven could possibly incorporate that feature of converting the tag's weights, would just make it easier....

Like I said... if not, then two versions or incorrect taunts are fine.

Well, essentially it boils down to this. With the differences between the ways JO and JA work, there are a couple problems with animating.

JA can use JO models, but Raven's model conversion doesn't fix the left hand for it to animate correctly (like taunting with Dual Sabers).

And we were just discussing possible solutions or methods to fix it. My thoughts were on making a model that works normally for both, but it seems unlikely at the moment. The easiest fixes are ignoring it, or making a JA version for the model. It's nothing really that important, as I imagine the gameplay is mostly intact for the saber swings using a JO model.

I don't have JA at this time, so I couldn't tell you 100% how much it affects it.... but I would imagine that it's more of an asthetic problem than gameplay.

The taunt isnt that bad, it just looks silly...

The biggest problem with the 'sticky left saber' is that when someone does the double saber special

(ducking and using the force to let both sabers fly in circles around you)

only one saber will fly, and the other will stay in your hand.

I'd say, if you're releasing a model,

use the JO skeleton and include an additional pk3 file for the JA version

that just replaces the GLM with a JA compliant one.

But ofcourse the problem would still exist when using previously made JO models....

So i guess that people will have to deal with the bug when using JO models.

I dont know how Raven should fix it anyway.

Renaming the tag wouldnt do much, since all JO models just have the left hand tag fixed to the left hand bone.

And i dont think they can just alter the animations so that the l_hand_bone will fly around along with the tag_bone.

But thats the only sollution i can think of (simple minded as i am)

Well, it's not about renaming.. it's about reweighting.

A model part is "adhered" to a bone by weighting... the tag for the left hand is weighted to the left hand. In JA, they have a new bone that is meant specifically for that tag.

While converting the model, I'm guessing the weights of the bones no longer used are changed to the next nearest bone. The toes are no longer there, so they probably just convert those weights to the foot bone.

If they can single out the tag and change it's weights, it'd solve the problem right there, and no need for an extra model.

If not, and you want it to look correctly, you'll need to make a JA version. While including both into one zipfile would work fine, my only concerns are either the number of people who won't "get" how it works or who don't want the hassle.

But as I said, it isn't that important. How to release it will be up to each modeller in such a case. I'm just saying it'd be easier if Raven can alter their conversion process.

Archived