Home

Crash issues

JediNyt

I dont see any crash threads around so I guess Ill make one for people to post about their game crashing.

I just got the game and I havent even been able to get a character name yet cause the game crashes almost right after I choose a galaxy. (Btw what are galaxies? Are they servers? Do I have to create a new character if I go to a different galaxy?) Anyway my screen goes black and the sound screeches and I have to force restart. Help please!

Guest DarthMaulUK

Get used to it. Many thousands are crashing. I am one of them who hasnt had a single day without the game crashing at launch.

Sony will blame everything apart from themselves. They recently blamed my ISP who have done trace routes now etc and put the blame firmly on the software...oh hang on...thats Sony!

Do you know how to run a dxdiag check? Sony 'tech support' look at this for fun then blame something totally random... like your RAM not having the same serial number (which, yes, would make it all 1 stick!)

However, make sure that you have the very latest drivers and by saying ' i only bought it 3 days ago' doesnt mean that you have the latest drivers. Visit the website for your graphics card maker, down load it then see how you get on.

Galaxies is graphically challenged, so make sure your settings are turned down. I ran this game on a 256 MB graphics card and it still sucked.

Try this and comeback screaming! ;-)

DMUK

Originally posted by JediNyt

I dont see any crash threads around so I guess Ill make one for people to post about their game crashing.

I just got the game and I havent even been able to get a character name yet cause the game crashes almost right after I choose a galaxy. (Btw what are galaxies? Are they servers? Do I have to create a new character if I go to a different galaxy?) Anyway my screen goes black and the sound screeches and I have to force restart. Help please!

Are you running ZoneAlarm?

I dont have Zonealarm, I dont even know what it is. Anyways Im tempted to take the dam game back. Ive tried everything. Emailing tech support, chat rooms, forums, tweaking settings, etc. and nothing changes. Ive always had problems with games and this one is the worst. My free 30 days are gonna go down the toilet I know it. Well Circuit City will take it back no hassles so I can get my money back at least. Maybe I just got a lemon of a machine who knows. Thx for trying to help me.

Guest DarthMaulUK

i spent the last couple of days out of my 30 playing as that was when it actually started to work.

When i get home tonight, I will let you know what i did. In the meantime, can you please post your PC specs, including your graphics card, RAM and processor.

(mine is)

2.4 Athlon

1.1 gig ram

9600 ATI pro graphics card (128mb)

DMUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

Cool.

Thanks. When i get home, I will check the settings on my BIOS and also graphic settings. A few things have to be turned off because the game needs what i call 'total control' over the graphic settings as these change alot.

I still crash. Once when i first finally load up the game. Then once in game i crash when using shuttles/death blown. Sony blamed my ISP but its the software thats causing problems. Something they seem to be ignoring to fix.

Are you running Windows XP?

Visit the ATI website and download Display Driver,

Control Panel, WDM Capture driver ONLY IF YOU HAVE WINDOWS XP

http://www.atitech.com/support/drivers/winxp/radeonwdm-xp.html?type=xp&prodType=graphic&prod=productsXPdriver&submit.x=2&submit.y=3

Guest DarthMaulUK

The following is my system configuration in hopes that some light may be shed on the Radeon lock-up problems. I offer it up as sort of a "reference" system:

Windows XP Home SP1 with all of the current updates installed.

AMD Athlon XP 2400+

DirectX 9.0a (4.09.0000.0901 Downloaded from Microsoft...)

1024 266 DDR RAM

ASUS A7V333 MB with VIA chipset

Recent BIOS (3/2003)

Latest VIA Drivers (Hyperion 4in1448)

Latest ATI Release (not Beta) drivers Cat 3.5 6.14.10.6360

SMARTGART Installed and running fine on top of the VIA AGP driver

450 Watt Power Supply

My BIOS settings are set to the standard default and safe settings, my CPU is not overclocked, and my memory settings are not tweaked in any way. Just the default safe and "slow" settings.

Some of my BIOS settings:

System Performance is set to "Optimal", not "Turbo".

SDRAM Configuration is set to "BY SPD" which disables many of the unstable tweaks.

All of the other memory settings are set to "Auto".

AGP Apurture Size is set to "128".

AGP Drive Strength is set to "Auto". This compensates for any momentary power draws to the AGP slot.

AGP Performance Control is set to "Enabled". (Not sure what thisdoes, but it's the default setting...)

AGP Fast Write Control is set to "Enabled".

Video Memory Cache Mode is set to "USWC", not "UC". UC is the default, but USWC allows for speculative write combining which the Radeons support.

Some of my Radeon driver settings are:

Troubleshooting Tab:

Hardware Video Accelleration is at Full.

Enable Write Combining is checked on.

SMARTGART Tab:

AGP Speed is set to 4X (the maximium my MB supports...)

Fast Write is checked on.

(Also, I did not uninstall AMARTGART as has been suggested. On my system, SMARTGART seems to work just fine with the VIA AGP drivers.)

Direct X Tab:

Main Settings are set to "Balanced".

Anti-Aliasing is set to "Application Preference".

Anisotropic Filtering is set to "Application Preference".

Note: SWG does not support the above AA nor AF, so SWG MUST be able to turn these off. If not, then this could lead to game instabilities.

Texture Preference is set to the highest quality setting.

Mipmap Detail is set to the highest quality setting:

Vert Sync is set to "Application Preference".

Note: Again, this feature is controlled by SWG and SWG MUST be able to turn this feature on or off through it's game options.

TRUFORM is set to "Always Off".

IN DXDiag, the "AGP Texture Acceleration is "Enabled" with no grayed out box.

I get 22-29 FPS in the wild and 16-18 FPS in the city

Always becareful of messing with your BIOS. Ive done this to my PC and although I still have some crashes, i can at least play the game. It took me 3 weeks and after doing this, i sat back and it launched!

DMUK

Theres your problem bro! ATI and VIA do NOT get along. I stopped getting VIA chipsets because they are horrible when it comes to ATI. 133 had it 133a didnt. I had that exact same board and had a ATI 9800 pro in it and all it did was crash and casue problems because VIA seems to have a problem with ATI cards. I had also tried it with a 9500 and a 9000 and I had the same problems. I know tons of people have these same problems. If your lucky you dont. Most people I know who have this, and the groups I talk to, do have a problem with VIA and ATI together.

Guest DarthMaulUK

ah yes i know. i do put up with alot.

But there is something going on with the game graphics when it loads and the graphics cards. It happens on both nvidea and ATi cards.

Havent put my finger on it yet.....but its something there. If it wasnt for the guy who posted that Tech info i posted here, i would not be playing the game.

A true life saver...kind of as it still crashes alot.

DMUK

I talked to Sony and they said I need to get AGP texture acceleration working in Direct X for the game to work. So Im gonna have to reinstall Direct X and my video drivers to try to get that enabled. I dont know if I have to uninstall all of it first so I sent an email asking them. I also dusted and vaccumed my comp just in case it was overheating. I dunno, its still nice to have a clean comp. ;) Tomorrow I might know if all this works so we'll see.

Guest DarthMaulUK

As i have said in previous posts. Sony will blame everything on your PC. Overheating is rubbish. My PCs case is open because i was told the same and I still crash.

but fingers crossed

DMUK

alright here's my problem

I can play the game, but after about 10 - 30 minutes it freezes, then it corrects itself but all I see is a grey screen.

I have a

P4 2.4 W/ HT

1 Gig DDR

Radeon 9600 and 9200 (I tried it with both cards and got the same result, though the 9600 lasted longer :D )

I installed the newest drivers, newest directx, and tried to set all my settings the same as what he had before, and it still crashes after about 10 - 15 minutes now instead of yesterday I was getting 30 minutes

Okay, let me run down the list:

1) Is your Zbuffer enabled? If you go to virtual memory because your RAM is full of uneeded graphic info, it can do this.

2) DId you update windows?

3) Set your graphics crad settings to default and try it. Seeing if perhaps you have done some grievious error in the settings.

4) Try doing a full scan on SWG.

Now we'll do the basic 'Make the game work right stuff'

1) Run a virus scan

2) Check for BIOS updates.

3) Update your drivers

4) Update Windows

5) Full scan SWG

6) Defrag your drive

7) Then try again.

Guest DarthMaulUK

Re formatting wont work.

If you follow what I posted earlier, that should help. Its something to do with the graphic settings. I am almost certain of that. AGP plays a part in it

DMUK

PS: someone mentioned about getting a new motherboard...everything in my PC is new

Archived