Home

NPC List

ch4s3r

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a custom NPC I made myself - it's like reelo from JK2 but i've messed around with the skin and created a shader to make him glow and see through. It's looking pretty good, but as in the above post, I can only get him into the game by npc spawn through the console and not by actually editing the map. Is there a specific entity I need to use to get custom npc's into the game like npc_misc?

Not unless I post it up somewhere and because it's nowhere near finished and I don't have the internet in the house that won't be happening for a while. To create a new npc just add an .npc file to your ext_data/npcs (cheers idontlikegeorge), specify the model you want to use inside it, and use the

npc spawn MyNpc

command to view it. Getting it to start on the map via radiant is the problem i'm having now - I've tried creating an NPC_HoloReelo in the entities list in radiant, which I can add to a map, but it's just not processing properly. Is there another entity I should be using to get custom or miscellaneous NPC's into the game?

Found it! In the latest JA entities.def there is a:

NPC_spawner

entity.

Use the NPC_type key to insert it into the game - in my case the key will be:

NPC_type

HoloReelo

I've been using the old entities.def so it's no wonder i've been running around in circles. I hope this helps anyone who'd like to see more NPC's in the game apart from stormtroopers and rodians

It should be easy enough to do - for example: HoloTavion

Extract all the models to your base directory.

Copy the Tavion folder (we won't bother with Tavion_new) to HoloTavion (\base\models\players\HoloTavion)

Update the default.skin to reflect the change in the path (rename models\players\tavion\whatever.jpg to models\players\holotavion\whatever.jpg).

Mess about with the skins in Photoshop or Paintshop Pro - you will have to learn how to use alpha channels for the transparency.

Create a new shader in the shaders directory - you can call it HoloTavion for example - I use ShaderEd, so browse to one of her tga files (models\players\holotavion\whaever.tga) - you can then select the blend function from within ShaderEd - make sure you set the background button on to tell if you can see through it or not (GL_ONE, GL_ONE is usually sufficient).

If you open the shader up in notepad you can add the line "glow" under the blend function to get the dynamic glow/super framerate hit effect. Unfortunately, ShaderEd2 doesn't support this (yet) so it will have to be done manually. Ignore the message if you reopen the shader in shaderEd

That's the model and graphics side finished.

Now I couldn't be bothered to fiddle with the AI or anything, so if you can't be arsed either then all you have to do is copy tavion.npc (or any .npc file) to holotavion.npc, open it up in notepad, change ALL entries from tavion to holotavion and voila! A fully functioning new NPC - to get it in the game either:

npc spawn holotavion

or create an npc_spawner entity in radiant and give it the key

npc_type "holotavion" and this should bring it up as well

If this has been put up on another thread then i'm sorry for the repeat. Also I have no idea at all about scripting or behaved - that's what i'm trying to work out now

Hope this is helpful

Also add scale=200 to the .npc file for BIG tavion!:)

Don't make it glow though - i'll make you stand out a mile off:)

Alternatively make it glow! When people aim at you their frame rate will go through the floor! *note* This is what is called cheating so don't do it, but watching a holographic ugnaught kicking all sorts of sith butt would be funny:)

We are getting a bit off topic, but it does say npc_list and we are, sort of, talking about npcs, just bad-ass holographic ugnaught ones!

Time, my friend, or the complete lack of. Also I'm still learning the ropes so once i've got something worth releasing, i'll connect up my trusty old 56k and get it on the internet. My main connection is in work, so I might start posting my shader and texture files after i've loaded them onto a couple of floppies (broadband? cd-rom? what are these futuristic technologies?)

Yeah, it is easy enough but I currently don't have time to sit down and change a load of paths in skin files or copy and paste shaders at the moment - the perils of having to juggle work and a girlfriend with my main love of Jedi Knight.

At the moment all these holographic npc's do is act exactly like their non-holo counterparts - i've been designing them to act as holographic adverts for a Coruscant level i'm doing - take a look at the speeder chase in AOTC for loads of examples. Unfortunately all they do at the moment is look at you with a blank expression doing nowt, but they'd be fine for multiplayer as they are.

What I was doing (different to morgan katarn) was opening the skin tga files in photoshop and doing an edge detect (find edges in photoshop) and inverting the colours - it comes out a bit like Tron, but with the glow looks cool as f**k. Adjusting all the alpha channels to get the transparency "just so" takes up a huge amount of time - i'll try and post what i've done so far tomorrow

But I was also thinking of MP. It would be very easy to make some normal skins/models to get replaced by a "holo"-version of it. Just add some shaders and new icons, and you're done!

The problem is that they would be ghosts in SP too.

PS1. For more "holo" things, check this out. Our clan skin, a hologram ugnaught. (I created it)

PS2. I know this was off-topic, but hey! I gotta post it somewhere!

yeah, you wouldn't even have to create a new npc - just add a holographic skin to the same model - you could drop a holo.skin into any model directory and have that as a separate skin -

How does a Holo Sidious like off the beginning of EP1 sound?

Your Ugnaught is a bit see through isn't he? I can see it now slicing up a load of unsuspecting noobies - killed by an ugnaught:) HA HA (A mean, holographic, saber wielding bitch of an ugnaught though)

Originally posted by king yoda

funny skin really carl it looks cool. how is it with a wookiee. example chewie, that would be funny.

Yes, very funny indeed!

but I think the wookie would be a bit harder to do, because of all the hair. But I dunno. Haven't tried.

Originally posted by |GG|Carl

Man, It's really easy to create a holo pack... Actually, I think I could create one... now... I mean, why not?

I would make 'em just "half invisible", like the "ghost morgan" skin.

Just tell me what models to use.

I saw a "ghost" skin pack at jk2files. it makes all models in SP appear like morgan (ghost type)

Archived