Home

Rag-Doll in MP???

mariners2001

I love the rag-doll in single player. It's so much better thant the predictable/repetitive death animations in JO.

So why the hell isn't it in MP for Jedi Academy? I mean I could maybe see some lag issues but there has to be at least a cvar or something for it, right? Does anyone know if there is a way for this to work?

I hope this is added to a future patch.

And on a side note MP rant, why is there no two-handed lightning, grab-drain, absorb/protection combo, and protection/asorb/drain animations??? MP in Jedi Academy is nearly identical to JO. These features need to be implemented! And why does the double-blade kicking suck so bad??

first off, i dont even think the 'ragdoll' bodies in SP are actually ragdoll, they look like pre-scripted animations to me. Sometimes bodies will look like they have fallen realistically (like with an arm draped over the edge of a wall or something) but other times you get stupid looking floaty bodies, like when you kill guys on stairs

second, if there is ragdoll physics, it would be possible to put it in MP, it'd be a client side thing tho. But i dont think its ragdoll, so it cant be in JA :)

Also, you can only use 1 force power at once, otherwise it'd screw the game balance. Some of the combo's you describe would be almost unbeatable.

As for the animations, what would you animate? Protection/Absorb/Drain isnt a movement i know how to perform...

Originally posted by Matariel

first off, i dont even think the 'ragdoll' bodies in SP are actually ragdoll, they look like pre-scripted animations to me. Sometimes bodies will look like they have fallen realistically (like with an arm draped over the edge of a wall or something) but other times you get stupid looking floaty bodies, like when you kill guys on stairs

second, if there is ragdoll physics, it would be possible to put it in MP, it'd be a client side thing tho. But i dont think its ragdoll, so it cant be in JA :)

Also, you can only use 1 force power at once, otherwise it'd screw the game balance. Some of the combo's you describe would be almost unbeatable.

As for the animations, what would you animate? Protection/Absorb/Drain isnt a movement i know how to perform...

The game definitely has rag-doll physics in single player. When you've killed someone, shoot their body with a blaster, you can push it across the ground.

The reason it's not in MP is probably the same reason dismemberment wasn't in MP in JKII by default, or changeable from the UI. You had to manually enable it with a command.

I doubt they will add it in a patch, very seriously. The rag-doll physics in the game aren't that great afterall. The deaths still look the same as they do in JO, pre-scripted animations.

Originally posted by |DEM|Mosleg

The reason it's not in MP is probably the same reason dismemberment wasn't in MP in JKII by default, or changeable from the UI. You had to manually enable it with a command.

Do you know what the rag-doll command is or are you just assuming?

I personally think that crappy ragdoll is better than the cheesy pre-made animations. Just watch when you kill someone with a concussion rifle in single player to see what I mean.

I agree. The ragdoll is buggy, but it's better than none. Sometimes you think that it's lame when a body is half floating in the air, and you wish it was gone. But then, you go back into JO, and realize how stupid it is when a corpse is laying perfectly erect, held onto a ledge by the tip of a finger. Plus, bodies fly through the air loosly, it's so cool.

I'm hoping for improvements in patches. A more accurate collision model or collision detection and proper bone constraints are all it needs to be good enough.

Originally posted by mariners2001

And why does the double-blade kicking suck so bad??

The saber staff kick in MP is 99.9% useless. I really love the staff kick in SP, but 99.9% of the time you try to kick in MP, you will either miss or get a saber blade through your torso in mid-kick.

The ragdoll system was a nice addition to JA, so that people wouldn't be, as Emon sayed, hanging on a ledge by a finger. Or so they could "sit-up" when are thrown against a wall. I do miss it in MP.

Originally posted by TK8252MJL

The saber staff kick in MP is 99.9% useless. I really love the staff kick in SP, but 99.9% of the time you try to kick in MP, you will either miss or get a saber blade through your torso in mid-kick.

The ragdoll system was a nice addition to JA, so that people wouldn't be, as Emon sayed, hanging on a ledge by a finger. Or so they could "sit-up" when are thrown against a wall. I do miss it in MP.

And another thing....why can't you just push the kick key like in SP and have auto-aim and such. And talking about unbalanced...the dual sabers can stab right/left and front/back but the saber staff users can't split kick or do the humongous spin or back/forward kick??? Why is this?

I think you're wrong, I swear I've seen those moves before in MP.

The only SP moves I've never gotten to work in MP are the pull-stabs and the (non staff) flip kicks.

The SP ground kick auto aims? Maybe I haven't played enough SP.. but I never noticed this. Auto-aim is generally something you don't want in MP anyway though. ; )

I don't find staff kicks useless. Maybe as a replacement for flip kicks to the Sabers Only FF CTF people, but not in a duel. Like any move, they can be used stupidly, or they can be used smartly to great effect.

*NEWSFLASH* Im almost certain that these aren't ragdoll bodies.

The game definitely has rag-doll physics in single player. When you've killed someone, shoot their body with a blaster, you can push it across the ground.

This doesnt mean anything, that just means that the body entities are effected by your force powers and weapons. I made a quake2 mod with push and pull powers that could move bodies like this, you could shoot them across the room with the machine gun too.

If you push a body over an edge, so it falls onto another surface, does the position of the legs or arms change? No. They dont. They're just tricks to make it look like its some kind of ragdoll system. Once the model tools come out, you'll see all the scripted animations they've got for it.

Originally posted by Matariel

If you push a body over an edge, so it falls onto another surface, does the position of the legs or arms change? No. They dont.

Erm, except that the position of the legs and arms do change in JA.

; )

Grip + Drain?

How lame is that, how is the victim in MP supposed to get out of it, since his/hers force is all drained away? Sounds unbalanced to me...

If they had absorb on they wouldn't have gotten into it in the first place...

Plus while gripped, you can grip the other person back, if you're Dark, and theoretically drain them as well, so it's a two-way street if you're quick on the keys. Though Lightning while you're being gripped with do more damage than your attacker...

Archived