Home

The JKA elevators and Bot Routing

razorace

Anyone know the best way on how to handle the bot routing for the default elevators? Getting the bots to go up the elevators pretty easy, but it's very hard to get them (the bots) to go down.

You can try to have the bots attempt to go down by dropping off a nearby ledge, but the current AI stupidly tries to move in their target's direction while falling/jumping. This means suicide heaven on maps where the ledges are small.

I talked to Rich Whitehouse at Raven and he said that it's unlikely that he'll get a fix into a patch due to stingy Q&A requirements for the patches). Once the SDK is out, I'll fix the problem personally and add the results to OJP.

Any suggestions on how to get the bots to go down elevators would be great.

I'm not sure how without additional routing, or relying on the routes. You could have the bot waypoint be inside the trigger that brings the elevator up, and just check for its existence there. Then wait until the elevator is up, and have it move to a waypoint over the elevator. Or if there isn't one, force it in a direction which you can derive from the waypoint/current position and position of the elevator.

Well, the problem is that elevators snap back up once they touch the bottom of the shaft. It looks like we might be able to do some precise bot waypointing and get them to dive out as the elevator touches down but it's not the ideal solution.

Could we maybe just alter the elevator behavior once the SDK comes out?

Archived