Home

Changing default sabers (illegally??)

shinobi2204

I have found a mod that replaces the default sabers, now because this is a mod it does not work with pure servers, so what I thought I would do is replace the files in assets1.pk3 with the files from the mod so that these sabers would appear on pure servers (please let me know if this is illegal or not). Now the sabers work fine in SP, fine in offline MP but whenever I try to connect to an online game it crashes with the error "shaders not found", can anyone tell me what this means and how I can possibly fix it.

Please help as I want to use these sabers online.

PS the mod is called 'open jedi project hiltpack' and its on JK2files. The mod itself also works fine in SP & MP (not on pure servers obviously).

Editing your assets pk3 is a BAD idea, especially if you made no backups. You may be forced to reinstall JA now, to ever be able to play online again.

The reason mods use external pk3's is that its much easier to toggle them on or off, but editing your assets files is more permanent.

So in the future, don't edit your assets pk3 becuase that is the file that JA checks to be sure its the same when you join. If it's not, you won't get to play, unless its an unpure server, but even then, if it has new content you can't expect to see it on the server because they haven't made the same changes you have.

Pure servers are meant to prevent cheating and mod use that the server doesn't have, which is why its not working for you.

1) Yes I did back up the file, so no probs restoring.

2) What I want to do is change the sabers that come with the game, (i,e changing the assets.pk3) so that when I go on a pure server, I (not bothered about anyone else) can see the sabers I want, not the default ones.

3) What Kurgan said about toggling mods on and off is fine, but I am not going to want to change it back, as I want these sabers.

4) So in closing, if my assets file is different from the server I can't play? And I can't change the default sabers for online play?

A pure server means any files you use are checked against the server to ensure the versions match, if they don't, it refuses to let you play on it or keeps searching to see if you do have the right file somewhere.

So basically no, you cannot play on any pure servers at all if you modify any of the assets pk3's. They must remain completely original.

here's the deal with that:

a 'mod' pk3 file _can_ overwrite information in the assets1.pk3 file. what you've really got to do is to make sure that the new sabers you downloaded are named (in their respective "ext_data/saber/*.sab" files) "single_1", "single_2", "single_3", and "dual_1", "dual_2", etc. this will replace the original sabers in SP.

the game works by reading in your assets#.pk3 files first. then it reads in any other .pk3 files you've placed in the base folder, and appends that information to the original data. that means that you can overwrite the assets#.pk3 information with a mod .pk3, instead of changing the assets#.pk3 files (which you should almost _never_ do anyways). so, to get your sabers to show up in SP, just add the mod .pk3 file into the Base directory, because we can safetely assume that the author took the steps mentioned above to replace the original SP sabers.

Unfortunately, there is no way i can think of to change the original saber files (either by changing the .assets .pk3 file or by adding your own mod in) that would work on pure servers, so i can't really solve your problem. all i can do is explain how it works, as i have done above.

Archived