Home

Commanders for SWGB2 - Poll

Darth Windu

Should there be selectable Commanders for the new SW RTS?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be selectable Commanders for the new SW RTS?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Hi people, just wondering if there should be the option to select different commanders in this new SW RTS, much like Generals. An example of what i mean is-

Rebels-

1. Admiral Ackbar - aircraft bonus

2. General Madine - LOS and Spy bonus

Empire-

1. General Veers - Mech bonus

2. Admiral Needa - Aircraft bonus

and so on. I figure that, although not original, it would give further diversity by allowing differences in each civ, so that someone playing as Ackbar would have different strengths and weaknesses than someone playing as Madine.

Just wanted to know if the board thinks this is a good idea or not.

Sith - i said it wasnt original, but like Vostok said, if done well it could add a lot more variety into the game, because you would be able to effectively double the number of civs used without taking up much more resources.

BTW is it just me, or is it odd that the response seems to be fairly positive, and yet there are more 'no' votes than 'yes'?

I Voted Yes Because An Idea VERY SIMILAR TO THIS I CAME UP WITH In My Idea about 2 months ago in future learn to give credit from where you got the ideas all of the source as much as i know it pains you to admit that one of my ideas caught your eye but after all you chould give credit

i voted yes. First good idea u came up with.....but they would have to be aura's and only affect units within a certain range cuz just having them as a unit isnt as great.

Like say............Han Solo, gives units within range a faster shot rate......so on and so on.

Darth Vader - makes all enemy units -1 armor/attack while Luke Skywalker would give all ally units +1 attack/armor.......

makes it cool :D

Queen Amidala - Gives units within area speed or something :D

I think some of you are confused....

The commanders he is referring to are the ones in generals which aint units they are like seperate civs. Which have unique units and different strats on the battle field. Like 1 US general has the tactics of super weapons the other one with lasers.

So maybe like you choose confed which has 3 spin off general civs like Severance Tann and she gets some unique units and bonues on others but then they become weak in another area of battle like she might not have as tough fighters or troops than the other confed commanders.

Hope you guys understand now

If it would be meaningful to have the generals and unique enough, it would be cool. Like Veers could be a general, and his unique unit might be some super ATAT and a bonus for Mechs.

Also, has anyone's SWGB2 template evolved beyond a need to research? Like in Generals, you can have everything at once, but ya gotta build before. there would, of course, be some upgrades, but I'm tired of the continues research you have to do in any Ago of ____ game and GB. That's one reason I enjoy C&C Gens a lil more. Get to the building tanks and fighting part.

And if someone did, maybe I'll take a look at it. i just don't feel like reading all that stuff or the 4 different versions out there...

DK- it may have been your idea, but you ripped it off from somewhere too ;)

Phreak - did you mean to type Beers?

Also, I quite like the researching. You rarely research everything, but the huge amount of techs available make the game different each time. You can research different things as you need. Games without this much research (StarCraft, Generals) get stale over time because you play it the same way every time. StarCraft used to be my all time favourite game, but I played it again a few months ago and without the heaps of possible research options I got a bit bored.

Viceroy - Stole, made up... what the hell's the difference?

Windu - If you expect people to respond politely to your civ template I suggest you start acting politely concerning other people's templates (such as bothering to read them).

Phreak - to an extent, my idea has evolved beyond research. It still exists, and is important, BUT instead of having to research all of the various technologies and units in SWGB, you 'invest' in research.

This way, you can decide how much of your income goes to Military, Economic, Civic etc research, with each having it's own uses. This gives a good blend of still having research, but taking away the need to constantly monitor your research progress, allowing players to concentrate more on combat.

Vostok - i havent bothered reading Viceroy's idea becuase, frankly, i consider it far fetched and unworkable. I dont have a problem with Viceroy making it up, but it needs to be watered down before i will take a serious look at it.

Actually i never got it from somewhere else i made it up myself because that's usually better than copying ideas from other games because when you take the good from a game you also take some of the bad so copying usually isn't all that good an idea

By The Way Vostok Good Idea for The Empire

Archived