Home

Name for new SW RTS

Darth Windu

Hi people. Since we know (or at least think) that this new RTS is not SWGB2, i would like some suggestions as to what the board would like to see it called. When the suggestions are in, i'll set up a poll so the board can vote on it. At the moment, im thinking-

"Star Wars: A Galaxy in Flames"

I just want to take the time to personally gloat that I triumphed over all you nay-sayers in predicting that the new SW RTS would not be a sequel, for a variety of reasons. :p :p :p :p

As for a title, I predict SW: Galactic Upheaval, but that prediction will probably change once more information is released (namely the title:D )

I'm a little unclear on many things regarding the new SW RTS. But here are some possibilities

If it's an Ep 3 Tie-In-

Star Wars: Fall of an Epic

or Fall of an Era

It it's GB2 (which I'm sure it isn't)-

Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds 2: Conflict Ignited

or, in JK style, Galactic Battlegrounds: Conflict Ignited

If it's, uh, a Star Wars RTS-

Star Wars: Galactic Conflict (I like the word conflict today, it seems)

Just a spur-of-the-moment composition... I might think of something decent later.

Well, anything with the word 'Galaxy,' or 'Universe,' or 'Epic,' and so forth is clearly a bit bigger than just a typical first-person shooter like JO. But it could be taken to be some kind of, uh, really big first-person shooter like BF1942. Anyway, I don't think we absolutely need to focus on making it sound like an RTS... the title for SWG might have done quite well for the new SW RTS, but that's neither here nor there, and that's an RPG.

On the topic, I'd like to see the 'GB franchise' or 'SW RTS franchise' go through a series of series name changes. That was quite fun to see with the, uh, Kyle Katarn series, for lack of a better series title. Honestly... Dark Forces (1 and 2) to Jedi Knight (1, 2 and the spin-off Academy) to Jedi Outcast.... maybe LA needs to create a special personnel department that just thinks up titles. Come to think of it, nearly every game developer needs one of those. Titles these days... makes you wish they'd stuck to the simple stuff. Like 'Space Invaders.' Invaders from space. It worked.

Yeah, Force Commander sounds great! I'm sure that with a name like that, it'll turn out to be a brilliant game.

LMAO! *stumbles away laughing*

Single-word titles don't work, especially with RTS games. Thinking back, 'Of The' in titles generally doesn't work either, that's more of a movie thing, although it has been done in some 1PS games. Two words is best (not including the Star Wars bit of course).

A link with the Ep 3 title would be good (like Clone Campaigns was linked to Attack of the Clones). But, once again, it depends on the release date of both titles.

I wasn't actually suggesting using Space Invaders... I was just saying that it worked and fit, which is more than we can say for many recent titles. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by JediMasterEd

I say Star Wars Force Commander II!

*shoots himself*

Why not just keep it at Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds II? Nothing fancy.

Because (hopefully) they gonna take a completly new engine this time.

Anyways, I'd go with the ep3 title (or something related to it)

It can't be GB2 because it isn't GB2, which is either a good or bad thing, it's too early to tell. But even if it had been GB2, it still needed a new title, or second part to the title. It's just what sequels do. AoE2 was Age of Kings, Jedi Knight 2 was Jedi Outcast, and so on. Hey... there's a thought... they both still have the first part of the original title! So maybe it could be Galactic Conflict or something? *grins at mental leap of great brilliance*

Also, it isn't necessarily an Ep 3 tie-in. Could somebody clarify this if they happen to know more than I do?

Actually i think the game was headed for 2005 wasnt it? I dont like long names, star wars: galactic battlegrounds is too long for me. I think the official title should be in the "GALACTIC BATTLEGROUNDS" format but display star wars in small letters in the top left corner of the logo, to let people know its star wars. I dont refer to this game as star wars galactic battlegrounds, i refer to it as battlegrounds, or galactic battlegrounds.

As far as the title goes, if i had my way it would be battlegrounds 2 with star wars up in small font on the top, but its obviously not going to. As far as i can go something with "warfare" in it.

[W]Star Wars[/W]

HyperSpace Warfare

Obviously it will be 'Star Wars: <<Insert Title Here>>,' because that's just the way things work. Another way things work is that you can't just have <<Prequel Title>> 2. As I've described in my earlier examples (eg with AoE2), there's always a second part. This not only increases viewer interest by making it seem different to (and better than) the previous game (or movie), but often clues the viewer in to what kind of game it is and what kind of content can be expected.

It doesn't actually matter that the game doesn't contain 'hyperspace warfare' as such. Did GB1 feature a battleground spanning the whole galaxy? It was more like planetary battlegrounds, and not even that, just a battleground taking up a small bit of a planet. But it was a cool-sounding, Star Warsy title, if slightly bland and uninforming. We should probably be aiming for something that is cool-sounding, Star Warsy, exciting and informing.

Archived