Home

list of unanswered questions, and answering one....

Szico VII

first ill answer the question about how to make a light switch.

all i did was make a switch brush, with a trigger multiple in front of it, then conenct it to all the lights i want to go off.

(if you want the lights to start off, mske sure the relevant box is ticked in the light entity window )

now heres my questions....

how do you make mirrors work?

how do i change my lightsaber colour in a sp game. (in my map i dont want a blue lightsaber)

how oh HOW do you make spheres?

can anybody give me a premade model for a skin, because i know how to do a skin, but i cant make the models?

i have some func_doors which i want to crush people standing underneath. it kills them, but also pushes them through the floor and into the big grey void. how do i fix this?

how do i make the dorr hurt people when they touch it?

Finally, how do i make a teleport?

how do you make mirrors work?

Here is a very simple tutorial on setting up a mirror. . it's quake related, but works

http://planetquake.com/qworkshop3/tutorials/mirrors/index.html

note the rules on mirrors. you dont want to reflect a large portion of your map, no mirrors reflecting each other, etc. I've never actually a used a mirror in a map, but there should be a mirror texture in the common or system texture set of JK2. or you could make your own shader. heres another with a little more info:

http://planetquake.com/bubba/mirror1.html

how oh HOW do you make spheres?

there are a few ways. you can vertex edit a cylinder(or dense or even very dense cylinder) so that it forms a half sphere. mirror that over and put them together. or an easier way is to make a cone, collapse the top (pointy end) vertex down to create a half sphere and mirror that over also. on the last version of gtkradiant i used, the brush/primatives/sphere object was still buggy. this may have changed. if you really want to be silly you can even make them with bevels and endcaps by vertex editing them. some say that is the best way.

can anybody give me a premade model for a skin, because i know how to do a skin, but i cant make the models?

I'm a bit confused by your question, do you want a static in-game model? if so, one way you can do that is to import a .glm file(from the assets folder) into Milkshape3d and export it to a Quake Md3 file. You will also need the textures from the assets file and put them into a folder under base/models. edit as needed.

how do i make the dorr hurt people when they touch it?

Place a small brush on top of the door covered with the system/trigger texture. then turn it into a triiger/hurt entity. add the key dmg and the amount of damage inflicted under the value.i think that is what you are asking...

Finally, how do i make a teleport?

Make a patch or brush and cover it with system/trigger. right click in the 2-d window and now make it a trigger_teleport entity. then create your target_teleporter entity. right click in the 2-window where you want the player to teleport to and choose taget_teleporter. shift-click the trigger_teleport and then the target_teleport and hit ctrl-K to link them. since system/trigger is invisible in game, put it directly on top of the object that you want to act as the teleporter itself.

umm. I think this is all correct...I'm not exactly sure on the other 2 questions tho. tip: quake, wolfenstien, SOF2, eliteforce etc, tutorials are your friends. just weed out the info thats not JK2 related.

hey, thanks a lot!!

i have another qquestion though lol..

you know in a shader script like this one:

textures/darkforces/teleport

{

qer_editorimage textures/darkforces/teleport.tga

surfaceparm nodamage

surfaceparm nomarks

surfaceparm nonsolid

surfaceparm trans

q3map_material Glass

q3map_nolightmap

cull disable

{

map textures/darkforces/teleport

blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE

rgbGen wave sin 0.5 0.1 0.01 0.5

tcMod scroll 0.0 5

tcMod turb 0.0 5

}

{

map textures/darkforces/laserdoor2.tga

blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE

rgbGen wave sin 0.2 0.1 0.01 0.5

tcMod scroll 0.0 5

tcMod turb 0 0 0 1

}

}

for the bits which are tcMod scroll and turbo, how do these affect the way the image moves. ive messed about quite a bit and generally got the effect i have wanted - but do you know exactly how each part of the number affects it?

Check out the Q3A Shader Manual for ALL your technical shader questions.

tcMod Scroll x y will scroll the image x "textures per second" in the horizontal direction and y "textures per second" in the vertical direction.

tcMod turb is short for "turbulence," it's often used on water/slime/fog shader stages. The numbers correspond to the amplitude, frequency, and such of the waveform that generated the turbulence. Check the manual.

some more questions:

how do you make a circle? (for say a rotating disc)

in behaveED I made a cutscene script, and it worked, so i deleted all the ref-tags and info_nuls. but then, when i made another one with new cameras, it always starts from where one of the original camera angles was and then moves to the ones that are actually there. what am i doing wrong?

how do you make text appear with cutscenes?

Archived