Home

X-Wing Alliance online game

Dereknor

Hi,

Are there still some XWA players out there ?

Some month ago I had an Idea when I played XWA again:

Some kind of onlinegame, with a galaxymap, resources, and ships. There can be different jobs like commander, pilot, trader and so on. Commanders control the ships, traders build mines and build ships and pilots are fighting in battles. When 2 fleets meet each other, a mission with the ships is made with a mission editor and the commanders can watch the battle, while their pilots use the ships which belongs to the fleet.

Anybody interested in such an idea ?

Dereknor

I'm not sure how to manage it. I thought about a galaxymap, with informations about worlds and stations there. Maybe a 40x40 map.

I have collected many informations about the companies in starwars and what they build. Also I have made a list of all available ships in the game. I'm thinking about some kind of ressourcemangement. Similar to Star Wars Rebellion.

First I thought about companies made by players, but that would be too much work to manage all that things.

But there are many civil ships/stations in the game, so the players could buy mining stations, factories and such things, or buy ships from companies with money they get from tax (depends on the planets they got)

The Commanders of the fleets have to tell where they fly or if they want to buy new fighters or weapons.

Mines and factories can be attacked to weak the enemy or destroy the transport of new ships by interceptin the convoy. So the civil ships are often more important then fighters.

But I'm not sure about the time. Should it be realtime or round based. The problem is, that many players are online at different times, so a battle can't be fight at the same time the ships meet. The commanders have to be informed and the pilots too. So a battle can take one day untill it starts. But thats not so important for big battles, but for interception or such things.

Of cause, when just the attackers are online, the AI could control the other side. It is like real life, the pilots and commanders aren't awake or on board all the day.

I've thought about a round based system. Every day is one round and a battle can be fight at any time at that day. The problem is, that I'm not sure about speed and such things. Some ships are faster then other ships, but that details aren't usefull when rounds take one day. A ships would fly 2 or 3 days to reach a sector. And nobody want to wait 10 days to reach a sector, so the ships have to be very fast. But on the other hand it means, that they all don't have different speed. Without a round based system a ship could take 10 hours while a faster ship take 7 hours. But that would mean that battles have to be fighted at the same time when ships meet.

anyone an idea ?

I would prefer the round based, but then the game is without speed-bonus.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

First of all, it should be done with computer intelligence (at low or medium level): a galaxy full of planets, resources, ships and so on. If that works let's say 50:50, humans could engage one of two (or more?) sides, waiting until there is a place for them to begin (slot open). Computer does it medium, humans should learn to do better. Battles could be "announced" a day before, so each sides members are called to stay alert; if not, they will find their ships destroyed while looking TV, ending a short career.

Reentering game (if "dead") should be easier for some time, not from starting point, but "one level below".

Somekind of newspaper can report all things going on last day.

Better players should be promoted by the system(!) and can receive "better" (more powerfull) jobs. Unlike StarWars Galaxies, there should be a strong story plot behind (running for at least some month), so everybody knows about what to do or where to go, not sitting around and waiting for something to happen.

At the end, most of the inside characters will be played by humans, and it could be interesting to see, which side is choosen and supported by most of the players... and if the "weaker" side

can make use of the power and hold position or even win?

Just some thoughts born in nightmares...

Archived