Home

Problems with .pk3 files (unhide file extensions and right click to rename!)

manoman81

CMon K, we know you dont use XP ! It clearly sounds like manoman is using XP, as that happens in XP, even WinME, actually.....

Okay, I admit, I don't use WinXP, but I've used 2kpro and I'm told time and again how similar they are (ie: XP is just 2k with a ton of spyware and resource hogging eye candy bolted on).

Are you telling me you can't rename file extensions in XP?

Or are you saying that Winzip doesn't work in XP?

It shouldn't be that different.

I'm using 98SE and ME (from what I recall) wasn't that different (just more annoying, from reports).

From what I have seen, Winzip in 98SE and XP are not really different from what I remember. But for whatever reasons, I just couldn't figure out how to zip files into a .pk3 file using the program. But, like I said before, it is a lot easier just to go through the folder options and uncheck that one option. This way I can do the right-click thing and go from there. Of course, I've never really tired to do any of this before, so...yeah, a complete noob with this stuff.

Originally posted by Kurgan

Okay, I admit, I don't use WinXP, but I've used 2kpro and I'm told time and again how similar they are (ie: XP is just 2k with a ton of spyware and resource hogging eye candy bolted on).

Are you telling me you can't rename file extensions in XP?

Or are you saying that Winzip doesn't work in XP?

It shouldn't be that different.

I'm using 98SE and ME (from what I recall) wasn't that different (just more annoying, from reports).

OK, for perhaps the 3rd time, I dont know why, and I'm not going to chart the evolution of the MS OpSystems, but in XP, "Hide extension for known file types" is ON by default. Nothin to do with winzip or winrar(which I use). Now, if you rename the file WITHIN the environment of one of these programs you will not have this problem. But if you are just in one of your folders(eg. your JA 'base" folder") and the "Hide extensions" is ON then you MUST uncheck it to rename file types. eg. Once unchecked you can do what you want. I've often changed video file formats wmv/asf for conversion and encoding using this method, so it has nothing tio do with winzip etc.....

*runs off screaming into the night* :p

I still luvz ya all though :D, and since Manoman has fixed his conundrum, all is cool !

MTFBWYA

OK, for perhaps the 3rd time, I dont know why, and I'm not going to chart the evolution of the MS OpSystems, but in XP, "Hide extension for known file types" is ON by default. Nothin to do with winzip or winrar(which I use). Now, if you rename the file WITHIN the environment of one of these programs you will not have this problem. But if you are just in one of your folders(eg. your JA 'base" folder") and the "Hide extensions" is ON then you MUST uncheck it to rename file types. eg. Once unchecked you can do what you want. I've often changed video file formats wmv/asf for conversion and encoding using this method, so it has nothing tio do with winzip etc.....

I had a sneaking suspcion. Of course in Win9X this is also the "default" (ie: the stupid n00b settings microsoft assumes everybody wants to use.. BOO!!!!! TO THEM!).

Turn off 'hide extensions' (show all extensions) and you'll have no problems like this ever again!

Good job pointing that out to these poor souls....

Though maybe you should post step by step instructions on how to turn off the option for those who can't figure it out on their own?

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

To rename a file to *.zip and have it stay .zip you need to do THIS FIRST(Otherwise, windows will by default assign it a known extension. so you'd end up *zip.pk3)

1. Open a folder, any folder

2. Go to Tools. Go to Folder Options

3. Click the "VIEW" tab. A little way down, there is a check box that says "Hide extensions for known file types" It is usually checked, uncheck it ! Press Apply

4. Now all your files will appear with their extension in the name. eg darthmaul.zip You are now free to rename it and hence change its extension type

ie. darthmaul.zip to darthmaul.pk3 (ie just delete the zip and type in pk3) !!!

EASY

Feel free to re-check the box once you are done, and having file extensions appear annoys you(as it does me!!)

MTFWBYA

Ok, since the indestructible KURGAN suggested it, its probably a good idea to elaborate on this too :

TO REVERSE THIS, ie so the extensions are "hidden" again, repeat steps 1 to 3, but instead CHECK THE BOX labeled, "Hide Extensions for known file types". Press Apply/OK !! Nb. If you dont do this you could end up with a mess on your hands if you continue to rename files and dont add the proper extensions, otherwise, XP will always prompt you as to what program to use to open it when you go to use it next.......

MTFBWYA

Thanks.

Unhiding file extensions is a good idea anyway for security reasons.

How often have computer n00bs fallen for the old:

VIDEO_of_BRATTNEYSPEARS_NAKED_COOL!.mpeg.pif

(the 'pif' you'd only see if you had extensions turned on for example)

Trick? ; p

Originally posted by Kurgan

VIDEO_of_BRATTNEYSPEARS_NAKED_COOL!.mpeg.pif

can't talk,,,,,,drooling.... :p I was never into Britney, until she kissed Maddy...... Mmmmm

but yes, *Back to Topic* beware renaming file extensions if you have "Hide Extensions" switched off..... ! Follow the steps I have indicated above to make sure youre doing it properly !

MTFBWYA

Archived