Home

Can my system run ACADEMY

Plowan

i got a 600 pc,and worst vid card ever,i can play it at the lowest setting,sure some place in map give me 10 fps,but that just detail compare to the gameplay this game offer you =)

btw,you can tweak JKA to give more fps,by using console command or set the command directly ur .cfg file

il post a few

cg_render "0" (put jk2 push/pull effect hence more fps)

cg_speedtrail "0"

com_hunkmegs "xxx" (dependin on ur ram,i got 256 ram so i set it to half 128)

r_picmip 5 (default is 1,and it can go up to 16 but if u past 5,you cant see ****,if you really need fps use this one,it blur texture and it make the game look .... crappy but if u badly need fps us it)

r_vertexlight "1" (no idea...but it help fps =P)

r_lodbias "2"

cg_aurashell "0" (take off the seing effect on people,you still can see them tru wall)

cg_sabertrail "0" (take off the saber trail ....)

I know there more command but those are probly the best command to boost your fps

Originally posted by Rad Blackrose

You're probably going to hate me for this, but...

1.) The Celeron line of chips (the old ones, at least) were built with one thing in mind: being cheap, overclocked pieces of ****. It was the worst decision my friend had EVER made in terms of chipsets.

You're better off switching over to a P3 or AMD K-7 (Athlon), and if you got the bucks, go for a P4. Also be sure to take a look at the new stuff AMD is bringing out.

On second look, you got a PIII. Good, you were scaring me for a second.

That of course depends on his system. And yes PIII is a sigh of relief

2.) Most games are starting to require a minimum of 256 MB RAM standard, and to be on the safe side you want double that (512).

RAM is probably the cheapest component of of any computer these days, and is easy as hell to install. I'd recommend bumping it up to 256 at least if you're strapped for cash. If not, kick it up to 512.

Considering his current ram count, he might be running with PC 100 sticks of SDR. getting 512 is boing to more costly then getting 512 DDR 266 (considering on the possibility of maybe that they are rarer today then they were)

3.) GET RID OF ME! Might Explode is probably the WORST Windows OS I have EVER dealt with. When I built my college computer, I made sure XP Pro went on the bad boy, even though Home does a good job as well.

The last two computers my parents have used had ME on them... whenever I go home and I don't bring home the beast, I almost tear my hair out.

And don't stick with 98. Please. For the love of God and all things holy. ;)

Oh dear gawd I hope so. but at least one can dela with win98 for now. Or get win2k. XP in all its glory is just win2k but prettier. Then yet agian ME is win98 that wants to look like XP

4.) Video cards: You don't have to go out and buy the newest video cards in order to enjoy JA. You only need them if you want the full blown glitz and glamour. In competitive play, all that glitz and glamour means jack crap: frames per second is where its at.

Radeon 7000 or geforce 2 would suit him best

Originally posted by Rad Blackrose

3.) GET RID OF ME! Might Explode is probably the WORST Windows OS I have EVER dealt with. When I built my college computer, I made sure XP Pro went on the bad boy, even though Home does a good job as well.

Totally agreed, ME is the most frustating of all OS's.

And don't stick with 98. Please. For the love of God and all things holy. ;)

Boo, Win98 served me very well, I'm on XPpro and all i can say it's a complete nuisance with drivers (eg. "all these things will still work with xp" - My fecking arse, one of the probs is that it totally rejects my sound card... until i loaded it without it and then stuck it back in... magically works again :/

It's also a memory hog (i got 256mb at the mo, pretty average) and quite a significant 20 fps drop in most of jka's levels/maps compared to jka on 98. Of course it has a lot of good points but has slightly ticked me off -_-

4.) Video cards: You don't have to go out and buy the newest video cards in order to enjoy JA. You only need them if you want the full blown glitz and glamour. In competitive play, all that glitz and glamour means jack crap: frames per second is where its at.

So true, If i had to, i would settle for 600x800 and crappy detail, you can always use the fov command to uh.... get a better fov :p

---

for the love of crap! get at least a 32mb tnt 2 graphics card!!

He asked for opinions and suggestions, not commands.

Originally posted by Side

i got a 600 pc,and worst vid card ever,i can play it at the lowest setting,sure some place in map give me 10 fps,but that just detail compare to the gameplay this game offer you =)

btw,you can tweak JKA to give more fps,by using console command or set the command directly ur .cfg file

il post a few

cg_render "0" (put jk2 push/pull effect hence more fps)

cg_speedtrail "0"

com_hunkmegs "xxx" (dependin on ur ram,i got 256 ram so i set it to half 128)

r_picmip 5 (default is 1,and it can go up to 16 but if u past 5,you cant see ****,if you really need fps use this one,it blur texture and it make the game look .... crappy but if u badly need fps us it)

r_vertexlight "1" (no idea...but it help fps =P)

r_lodbias "2"

cg_aurashell "0" (take off the seing effect on people,you still can see them tru wall)

cg_sabertrail "0" (take off the saber trail ....)

I know there more command but those are probly the best command to boost your fps

Ive experimented with all of these before... well... except the last 2, because that wont help FPS that much.

The r_vertexlight shouldnt be changed (it looks... crappy) I mean, its like the shadows were "moving" the problem was, the shadows just appeared in the game... like the FFA_bespin map in jk2, on the platform, there were these 2 huge black shadows on the sides (there was light straight through the middle) and it just didnt look to good.

lol, if you turn the r_picmip up to high, it starts looking "cartoonish"

Win2k Pro seems to give the best balance of speed and stability of the windows OS's. But if you want pretty eye candy and lower performance, go with XP pro.

; p

I'm still using 98se right now and it's served me well, but my system is badly in need of a clean format and reinstall so I'm going with a combo of that (for old programs) and back to 2kpro.

Archived