Home

PK3 question

Teancum

when I'm playing online and someone's using a custom model, does it look for a pk3 with the same name, or does it just look in each pk3 for the model directory? -- I'm curious, because I'd like to combine a few models to clean up clutter in the /base directory.

Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest

No, it doesnt. When a person uses a different skin/model, and if you dont have it, that player's skin/model will appear as kyle.

I know -- I guess I need to explain a little better.... Okay, let's say you have 'skin A' and the pk3 is named skin A.pk3. My question is, would YOUR 'skin A' show up still if my pk3 was named skin_a.pk3? If it does, then it probably looks inside all of the pk3s to find the skin file, if not, then it looks for a pk3 of the same name.

Originally posted by Teancum

I know -- I guess I need to explain a little better.... Okay, let's say you have 'skin A' and the pk3 is named skin A.pk3. My question is, would YOUR 'skin A' show up still if my pk3 was named skin_a.pk3? If it does, then it probably looks inside all of the pk3s to find the skin file, if not, then it looks for a pk3 of the same name.

Ohh! Now i understand.

It will look for the skin file inside the pk3. i think

The name of the .pk3 file only matters to the order that the skins are loaded. This occures in alphabeticall order, with any skins loads later replacing earlier ones.

Skins only get replaced if they have the same directory specified in the .pk3 file...

Originally posted by Prime

Skins only get replaced if they have the same directory specified in the .pk3 file...

Which leads me to another question -- When is a file in one pk3 "trumped" by an identical file in another pk3? Will the game take the first one it loads alphabetically, or the second?

Thanks,

-T

Archived