Home

better bot team balance mod

Glimpse

Not sure if it is like this in JKA but it is in JKO and most other MP games that have bots. You can't set up a game where it is 2 vs 4.

Sometimes I can get it to be 2 vs 3 with me and a friend or another bot on one team and 3 bots on the other team - but ussually this doesn't work for long, the bots don't stay on the team they were assigned to, autobalance teams is turned off but it doesn't seem to make much difference. It is simply not possible to make it any more unbalanced than 1 extra bot on one team.

It seems like this is an obvious issue but almost all MP games that have bots miss this point - I want to be able to create a game that is 3 vs 10 so that the bots will stand a chance against me and a couple of friends without turning their difficulty way up. Also it is fun sometimes to be hopelessly outnumbered, and good practice.

This would make a great admin type mini mod I think, to just tweak the game so it will allow way unbalanced matches and so the bots will stay on the team they were assigned to.

• 3 months later...

It's possible to do what you describe already, without any mods.

I used to run a TFFA game on my JK2 server (Chop Shop FFA-CTF) on the Deathstar map that had all of the humans on the Blue Team vs. a dozen enhanced Stormtrooper bots on the Red Team. The kills on both sides were in the hundreds after 15 minutes.

You just have have to make a config file that adds all the bots on the same team, something like this, call it botfight.cfg or something:

seta bot_minplayers 0

seta g_teamforcebalance 0

addbot TK-421 5 RED 0 "TK-69"

addbot TK-421 5 RED 0 "TK-666"

addbot TK-421 5 RED 0 "TK-711"

addbot TK-421 5 RED 0 "TK-007"

addbot TK-421 5 RED 0 "TK-2000"

addbot TK-421 5 RED 0 "TK-1337"

addbot TK-421 5 RED 0 "TK-11"

addbot TK-421 5 RED 0 "TK-22"

addbot TK-421 5 RED 0 "TK-33"

addbot TK-421 5 RED 0 "TK-008"

addbot TK-421 5 RED 0 "TK-44"

addbot TK-421 5 RED 0 "TK-3000"

make sure sv_maxclients is high enough to handle all the humans and bots.

Then go in the console and enter "/exec botfight.cfg" to add the bots.

Archived