Home

JO Helms Deep

sematriclen

well iv just started a new map "Helms Deep" after about 5 weeks of pondering and flicking over the dvd and special features on how they build it i have come up with whats on my web page

And yes i am aware of the images being through RTCW editor as im still trying to find the cd with JO editor on it

Click Here to see the images!

But ANY images of the inside of helms deep would be a great help

Looks nice, but you might want to change the textures, they are a bit monotonous and ugly :)

Ah, well, I just copied somebody else's joke... Seriously, thought, those are a bit early shots, but as far as I can see, they look quite promising. Produce some in game footage, and it'll be better to judge them.

Not much to see, yet...but I'm just gonna say what I've said about every Helm's Deep map so far...

From my review of Darth.Hunter's Helm's Deep at Map-Review.com

Okay…all mappers, let’s face it: Helm’s Deep is just plain NOT a good location to make a FFA map of. I mean…if you could seriously organize a 300-on-10,000 team FFA, it would work. But as it stands, for under several hundred players, it’s a horrible idea. You’ve got a tower/fort *way* off to the side, and a big, *HUGE* open area, with a little line down the middle (the Deeping Wall just really doesn’t do anything when you can force-jump). ... Because of the way Helm’s Deep is shaped, once everyone spawns in, the battle will tend to become a big furball in one localized area, which sucks as the weapons are so spread out. ... The map is fun to run around in by yourself, or maybe with a large group of friends, but the low frame rates (from the large area), incredibly spread-out layout, and sharp difference between the open plains area and the towers and caves of the Hornburg make the map a bit frustrating to navigate (you’ll either be taking lots of wrong turns or just running…forever). This isn’t really the mapper’s fault in construction…it’s his fault in choice of location to portray.

My advice is to either come up with a really stunning map and some reeeeeaaaally good Siege objectives (ie, Uruk-hai soldiers, archers, and 'technicians' try to breach the wall, batter the gate, and then kill everyone while Elven archers, Rohirrim soldiers defend until a whole bunch of scripted Rohirrim NPC's come and kill all the Uruks), or find a different, more balanced and evenly-spread-out location to portray (Amon Hen, Moria, Lothlorien, Bree, Minas Tirith city--not the plains around it--Shelob's Lair, Osgiliath...).

Archived