Home

Unique Units + Unique unit sets?

Darth Windu

Hi everyone. As you may or may not know, in my idea for SWGB2, there are three different commanders for each side which you can play with, with various strenths. For example, with the Empire, General Veers could build mechs faster and cheaper, with more armour, whereas Admiral Piett could basically do the same thing but with Aircraft.

What im wondering, is should there be unit denial or unique units? For example, General Veers but be denied the TIE Bomber or TIE Interceptor, but get something like the SWGB Dark Trooper. For the same token, Admiral Piett could miss out on the AT-AT, but have useage of the TIE Advanced instead.

What does everyone think?

It would be somewhat like AoM. I like it.

Anyway, I think you could get even more choices, in the end it's only A or B situations.

For the Empire you should be able to choose among:

-Vader: All foot units are stronger reflecting pure strength

-Veers: all the All Terrain vehicles get a punch.

-Thrawn: (I know you're purist Windu... still) advanced tactics

Or maybe even choose 2 or 3 commanders with different ranks, and make your own hierarchy. (spelling?)

Not only is it somewhat like AoM as saberhagen pointed out, but it is exactly like Generals: Zero Hour.

But that isn't my major problem. The reason being able to take three different paths with each civ worked for AoM and G:ZH is because they only have four and three civs respectively. It would be a balancing nightmare with the eight civs Windu proposes.

Not only is it somewhat like AoM as saberhagen pointed out, but it is exactly like Generals: Zero Hour.

Hence the ripoff of a ripoff.

Windu, I hope by the time this game comes out, everyone has personal supercomputers, cause that's what you're gonna need to play it (although, by the time you are done with the balancing, that very well may be true):p

Sith - where, exactly, is my template unbalanced?

Vostok, Sith - So? By what you two are saying, we cant use infantry, armoured vehicles, aircraft or ships in SWGB2 either, because those concepts are ripoff's of ripoff's of ripoff's from almost every previous RTS.

Sith - ah, so the truth finally apprears. Without reading my template, you have no authority or right to say that my template is unbalanced, you mearly ASSUME it is because it suits your purposes.

Nitro - thats the idea, sort of, in that, for example, Veers gets mech bonus', Piett gets air bonus', Windu gets Jedi bonus' etc.

Saber - not really. There would be eight civs, with only minor differences between the different commanders - caertainly not enough to justify a claim that there would be 24 different civs.

I don't think you understand enough about balancing. If you change one small thing it could potentially throw the whole civ off balance so you have to change something else to correct it and that might have knock on effects of its own. After enough trial and error, you will eventually get the balance back but it's not easy.

You seem to be thinking in more cosmetic terms: because the variations will have the same graphics and names they are the same civ. This is not correct at all. If there is even a minor difference, then in balancing terms it is a different civ.

Of course, you've said before that balancing isn't your responisibility. But if it's not the designer's job then whose is it???

Saber - as i said, the vast majority of units would be the same, so the balancing problems created by this idea wouldnt be much at all, certainly not as much as a whole new civ.

As for balancing, i am not a game designed, and have never professed to be one. My template is just that, a template - not a fully balanced, worked out game. I dont have the experience, knowledge or time to create a fully worked-out game, and my template is designed to give a rough idea of what i would like to see in a SWGB sequel - that's all.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see this thread hasn't resolved in my absence :rolleyes:

Windu, you may not have played AoM, but your idea is pretty much exactly that, and since the three Greek civs are all considered different civs, so yours will be too. So yes, that does mean 24 civs, and the balancing problems would make the concept impossible.

But if you're just looking for a comment on your idea I say:

Yes! Great idea Windu! That's why AoM and G:ZH has already done it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived